Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

Advice for hiding line art?

:iconknightfawkes:
KnightFawkes Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I learn best by seeing, so reading helps me very little, but here we go. I start off with basic line art, try doing some detail work, and then end up semi-disgusted with what up looking at because I'm left with these thick black lines cutting through my work. It looks very cartoon-ish. The paintings I've watched on youtube usually just speed through the covering up part, or just don't cover it up. I don't bother weighting my lines anymore either, since I'm going to see them at any rate. I'm using SAI. Please and thank you.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Jan 6, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
You don't cover them up.

You make new layers.

Then you delete the layer with the lines.

Open a new file. Go to Layer>new layer

This gives you a transparent layer you can draw on without disturbing the layer underneath.

You can adjust the opacity to make it lighter, then make a NEW layer to 'ink' on and delete or hide the layer underneath.

To color lineart, make a new layer below the current one.
:iconachipps:
achipps Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Learn to do other things with your lines so you can get rid of them. Right now you use them to divide sections of you art so it shows shapes.

On a side with shadows it is fine for the lines to be black, because that side is shaded anyway. When there is a side light only hitting on side of the shape it is better if it is the color of that light. If you take out lines then you need to replace them with light and shaded areas.

It looks like your art is heading away from lines, so at some time you might want to start drawing silhouettes and drawing details or draw details until they show you where the edges are. Both ways work, but the second way would be quicker.
:icontales-of-haven:
put them on a separate layer in the beginning, then just delete the layer when you're done.
SAI does have layers, yes?
:iconrobertthem:
Robertthem Jan 5, 2013  Student Digital Artist
You can color them with the local color, and if you can still see the lines you can try to blend the edges.
Local as in, with the base/flat layer?
The "local color" would be the color next to the line. Sorry, I don't know how to word it in a more understandable way.
Like taking the finished picture and essentially 'dragging' the color over to cover the line? Or would you do it before finishing? Sorry, I just don't know where this step should be in the process.
Exactly, this would be the last step.
Thank you bunches. :)
No problem :D
Add a Comment: