Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

What courses should I go on to take to improve at Digital Art?

:iconharvisingh:
HarviSingh Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Are there any types of University courses any of you would recommend taking to improve as a Digital Artist?...I live in the UK, if that helps.....Also critiques on the work in my gallery welcome!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconharvisingh:
HarviSingh Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
thanks for the advice guys
:iconartie-smarty:
Artie-Smarty Jan 6, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I think it's best to find a style you want to work in. Have an idea of what you'd like your art to look like. That way, you know where you want to be in terms of art and you can follow the corresponding steps to get there.

For example, I like cute Japanese-inspired cartoons with thick lines, bold colors and minimal shading. Therefore, I figured the best program for me to learn was Adobe Illustrator. I got Illustrator and just practiced on my own until I got used to it and little by little I've learned how to use it quite effectively (in my opinion :aww:).

I'm in university too and finding classes that use Illustrator is a bit hard i think but I saw your gallery and if digital painting is the type of thing you want to do, I recommend taking digital art/illustration classes. I'm sure they'll probably be using programs like Photoshop (maybe with tablets) since Photoshop is basically the digital standard today. Ask around the university and find out if they teach more or less the type of stuff you want to learn.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :) Good luck!
:iconjiiri:
Jiiri Jan 6, 2013  Student General Artist
I've never taken a course in Digital Art. In my opinion, while courses can be great and all, I find it's much more rewarding to do a ton of practice, research, and whatnot on your own. Professors can sometimes push you into a style they prefer and can steer you away from where you want to go. I find art in styles that I like and reference them so I can improve. It's much more fun (and it's free) ;)
Add a Comment: