Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Digital Style-critique

:iconlo-lo259:
lo-lo259 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I am not sure what style this is our what I could do to make it better.
[link]
[link]
[link]

Any advice would be amazing.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
What exactly are you going for? I mean, these look like OK basic character drawings for animation or something.

Not super amazing, but then again this type of art is just supposed to tell us what something looks like.

Maybe some work on the actual lines, you usually want thicker lines around the outside for animation. I notice all your lines are the same width. And it looks like you used the line tool to do them instead of freehanding. It may just be me, but I think that looks a bit lazy. But, you know, that's just my opinion.

And work on movement. You can get that from any basic animation course. It's about making poses and items flow. That's what makes things dynamic.

If these are supposed to be stand alone pieces, as opposed to 'this is what the character looks like' ones, then you should work on your light and shadow. I notice you have no highlights. While this is standard in (cheaper) animation it isn't generally advised just for artwork.

For animation, we take a concept and simplify it as much as possible so it can be drawn over and over again. Though now thanks to computers we don't have to do that as much. It doesn't take hours and hours of tedious tracing to animate things anymore, so we can use way more detail.
Well I am not really doing this for animation. I just really like the style. But I think you are right, and High lights are needed.

I did not notice that animation used thicker lines most of the time. I will keep that in mind.

Sadly where I am going to school doesn't have animation. The closest thing it drawing or maybe graphic design.

Thank you for your advice, and your time.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
1. Learn anatomy.
2. Learn how light works.
3. Learn drapery.
4. Learn how colour works.
5. Learn materials.
6. Learn from life.
Do life drawings. I have a sketch book full of anatomy drawings, but the more the merrier.
You maybe doing life drawings, but your understanding of anatomy is extremely weak, you're either not really understanding or you're just not applying what you know.
That could be. I think the problem is applying it. I just can't figure it out as well.
Go learn the structures, the bones, muscles, the shapes, measurements.
I shall, Thank you for your time. I really for appreciate it.
Good luck :) this year is the year we work hard.
yes.
Add a Comment: