Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

Need better blending techniques than smudge

:icontruerig:
truerig Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I just got a tablet and for my first painting (it's the only one in my gallery) I used the smudge tool throughout the whole thing

My problem with smudge is that it makes the overall image too murky and not as refined as I'd like them as compared to an oil painting. I hate it.

I'm also having trouble with my new painting because of this, I can't retain dark values or create the values of the cheek bones and the face is looking flat around the jaw.

If there are any alternatives I'd really appreciate it!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmatsuemon:
Matsuemon Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Actually, yah it looks like Blackbullets pretty much explained in very good detail what I was attempting to explain haha. That's an excellent explanation of the eyedropper method.
:iconmatsuemon:
Matsuemon Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
What software are you using, Truerig? It's really easy to get good blending in Photoshop, especially if you make a custom blending brush. Or you can use the color-picker method in any software that uses it (which is basically every one). Basically, it consists of picking a color and putting it down, but then turning your opacity and/or flow down to like 25%, then reapplying the color over the previously laid down color, doing the color picker again, etc. I'm probably not explaining it very well but there are some good tutorials about it on youtube. Hope that helps!
:icontruerig:
truerig Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
^^Awesome thanks!
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
Be sure to use the reply button so people know you have responded!
:icontheblackbullets:
TheBlackBullets Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Add a Comment: