Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

Tips on shading/painting please. (WIP inside)

:iconsynethos:
Synethos Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
So I'm trying to teach myself digital painting. I've done a few pieces before this one, as can be seen on my page, and there seems to be some progress. The only problem is that I feel like I'm stuck with my current piece, while it is not yet at the point where it is done. So could anyone help me with tips/tricks?

[link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconartistic-serenity:
Artistic-Serenity Jan 3, 2013  Student Digital Artist
It kind of depends on the look your trying to go for. Do you want your pictures to look more like a painting? Or do you want to go towards cell shading like in cartoons?
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
From the look of it, I'm guessing you haven't been using layers?
I have every time that I did some big changes so I can go back when I don't like it. But I do Ctrl+alt+shift+e to make a flattened copy every time I'm happy.

So effectively not no :P
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
Have you considered not flattening your layers? Layers are an incredibly valuable tool with digital art and you can do a lot with them.
Well yea I am trying, but at some point there is just so much that I am OK with that I feel like it can be the base of the pic again. No idea how else I should do it :P

So tips are welcome
Add a Comment: