Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 2

Totally new to digital art...

:iconstraystate:
StrayState Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
So I'm totally new to digital art. I mean, I've messed around with photoshop a few times, nothing serious though. However, now I've started to seriously learn, taking it step by step using my new bamboo tablet.

If you want, you can follow my progress in my journal: Ctrl+Paint, an intro to digital painting

Don't let the simple drill practice fool you, I figured I should really start at square one, and journal my progress from the very start. More interesting stuff to come soon I promise. Any suggestions of comments are welcome as well.

On a side note: Any totally new digital artist out there (even if your converting from traditional media)? I would love to hear from you and see how your progressing as well.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist
I'm not new :D but I'm happy to announce that I'm progressing.

I don't want to attribute my confidence in becoming better from acquiring my first tablet (trust me, it was hard to learn at first), but it certainly made things easier after I got used to using the durned thing. =P (It's a GREAT investment, for a hobbyist like me and more so for Art students and real professionals in digital art, haha).
After much practice doodles and not saving them, I became accustomed to drawing without looking at the surface where I'm drawing, haha.

Before the tablet, I think I proved to myself that I could color in things with just my mouse :) I had to tediously use the pen tool often though, haha (but I liked being OC about making the curve so :giggle: bonus for me).

Made before the tablet:
(digitally colored)

(drawn and digitally colored)
---> I used MS Paint of 2007 for this one :dance: And then I lost patience =P haha
---> Well, I re-drew the line art using GIMP and then colored it in with Photoshop

Made with the tablet:
(digitally colored)

(drawn and digitally colored)

:( I know it's mostly fan art but I've resolved with myself that it's okay because I can practice using characters I enjoy drawing :D What I do now is try and get the line art as luverly as possible before I scan it. That way, I also practice inking and shizz. Hmm. It's still a pain to clean up the line art digitally but it's like a huge sigh of relief when you're done, haha. Slaving away has its merits :) In this case, you get neat and clean line art.
Actually, haha, I'm trying to learn how to use watercolor as well. It's deceptively easy and yet not :P

It's great that you want to chronicle your progress :D That's the best way to move forward. Even I keep my drawings from about 6 years ago. It's fun to look back at them and see how much I changed. Good luck! :shamrock:
:iconstraystate:
StrayState Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yea there's a semi-steep learning curve to it, but practice makes perfect as they say.

I've got a watercolor tiger I will try and get up soon, but I really haven't done much with them.
Add a Comment: