Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Messy lineart

:iconlove-3n:
LoVe-3N Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
Most of the lineart I draw is really messy. I guess I have been sketching too much. I just cannot draw proper lineart, since most of my art is painting/airbrushing.

Is that normal??

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
This should help. I know it isn't sai but it's easily transferable.
:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
:iconthedeadzoner:
thedeadzoner Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
If you have photoshop you could always use paths to create your lines. This way you have more control over them.
I use sai. Photoshop is too big for my computer (or I have too much stuff on it)
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
'normal' does not exist.

Do you LIKE it? If so, then leave it. If not, then clean it up.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have the same problem. That's why I started digital painting, so I didn't have to do with lineart.
It isn't bad, though.
:iconpyxelle-art:
Pyxelle-art Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
My lines are pretty much awful, but I just smooth them out with the eraser until I"m happy with them. I guess the best tip though is to avoid scribbling back and forth over the same section trying to find the 'right line': Long, sweeping strokes turn out nicer than short hairy ones ^^
Thank you!! I should try that!
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
Don't worry we all got messy work.

You should start messy and then refine. Thats what layers are for. Get the shape, then add more flesh, and then layer on detail.

Start slower and confident.
:iconsarosna:
Sarosna Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't really see anything wrong with your drawings. We all simply have our own styles. Yours is much softer than mine. I've always been the type that first sketches with a pencil and then draws with a marker on top. Very hard and clear lines. The problem with this is that I find it hard to correct and redraw crooked poses and anatomy. It's as if the line made by my pen is somehow magical and my world will come crashing down if I erase it :p

If the messynes really does bother you, I guess you could try tracing an existing line art piece with the Pen tool and then stroking it with a 4pt hard brush? This is what I did with my "Mean druids" pic because the original line art was done with a 1mm marker (LOL).
Add a Comment: