Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Wondering how much I should charge for commissions

:iconnoleah:
noleah Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Digital Artist
I've recently re-joined DA and at since I haven't been asked for commissions in quite a while even on other sites I figured I wouldn't have to give it much thought until I got used to being here and how much commissions are worth. But I recently got asked to do a commission comic page which, considering the users profile, with probably be of some dragons. Thats right up my alley since I've been doing a comic which at least has just dragons right now.

I honestly have no idea how much to charge for my work, I don't know how well people think of it and how much they are willing to offer on it. Even on other sites I tending to get asked for cute fluffy animals or wolves, not dragons, so I can't even compare to what I charge on other sites ^.^'

Here are a couple examples from my comic pages;

This one is more to show what I can do with backgrounds since I was still messing with my dragon's style at that time; [link]
This one has a full-body picture in it, and a bit of a show concerning emotion; [link]
This one has a dragon with wings, wings that are also translucent; [link]
This one is from another site, but is a much better example of translucent wings; [link]

The last picture took me around 2 hours, comic pages take around 2-3 hours depending on whether they are just talking heads or if I have to do full-body. And of course the complexity of the page. Doing the one where he almost falls off a cliff takes a lot longer because I have to figure out the right pose.

Considering all of this and the above examples what would be the general range I should be charging point-wise? Thank you for any input on this ^.^

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconawesomness4268:
awesomness4268 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Being that your art is so amazing, if I were you, I would charge 15-20 :points: that will also mean that I can't get a commision from you. ^^;
:iconesjoat:
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Take a look at this site, it should help you to get a better gauge and maybe even pick up a job or two.

on that note I think *LittleSardines has the right idea
:iconesjoat:
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Take a look at this site, it should help you to get a better gauge and maybe even pick up a job or two.

on that note I think *LittleSardines has the right idea
:iconheretichesh:
HereticHesh Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't think you should be taking commissions, personally.
I'm not really sure what this is supposed to mean, that my art isn't good enough for commissions or that I'm not ready for it? I'm kinda looking for helpful crit on what I should be doing here. Someone came out and asked me if I'd make a picture for them, I haven't been advertising that I'm doing commissions.
I suppose it's a bit that I don't think it's good enough and I don't think you're ready.
I would either do it for free or ask him to make an offer on what he thinks it's worth.
Cheers.
I see. Well I can certainly understand why you may think that, though I've been asked for my art when it looked like this [link] I used to have an art shop and get asked for my art quite often. I only closed it because I didn't have the time for it, I was leaving for 2 months without internet. That was at the beginning of the year, and I just never open a new shop, being busy with other things.
Fair enough; you've definitely improved. It's maybe just a personal preference. Either way, do what you think is best. Cheers.
:iconlittlesardines:
LittleSardines Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Filmographer
Are you serious? How is anyone supposed to get started taking commissions if they wait until they're "professional" quality? By then they would just be ripe for getting ripped off if they'd never even attempted to negotiate with a commissioner before.
By the way - I don't think it's ever fair to ask people to do work for free, that's done on a volunteer/charity basis and nobody should ever be told that their work isn't worth anything.
Way to be an ass.
Angry/10. This doesn't concern you.
Add a Comment: