Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Choose a style

:iconcherubsrock:
cherubsrock Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Hello everybody and Happy New Year 2013!!

Well, I am actually looking for a style of colorizing on CS. I actually love to draw in manga style, but when I start working colors on photoshop It becomes really messy because I don't know which style I want to adopt. I don't know If I am clear about my problem...

For example, I really like this style: [link]
But I also like this style too: [link]
and when I work, I start working whith the first style in mind, but finally I end up try to make hair or skin in the second style and it becomes really bizarre...

I have the feeling that currently I struggle to evolve because I can't make a choice of which style of colorizing I want to have... I know it's not about magic or stuff like that but can you give me some tips about it? I am eager to improve my art.

In advance, thank you very much for your answers

Cherubsrock

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
Nheria's style is traditional art. He uses a pen, and watercolors, but does do digital sometimes.

The second is just more opacity to the style.

Every medium though alway will use foundations such as anatomy, perspective, etc, and also for drawing figures like anime and cartoons along with foundations, comes with rules of cartooning, exaggeration, etc. Though how to apply the medium varies between the two. For water color, you would layer and glaze and use the white of the paper. For like non opacity, there are various approches, but the basic way is to layer with the fullness of the paint first.
cherubsrock Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Thank you for your indications :)
:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist
Well, from my recent works, I'm beginning to observe that certain styles need a certain style of shading. But then, sometimes I see works by other artist with, for example, an anime/manga style and they use realistic coloring! I get more confused, haha.

Right now, I'm studying the how to draw books that I have to try and dissect the effects of coloring in this way and that way does.

For ANY style of drawing, using defined shapes for shading/lighting on the character or figure generally makes the entire piece bold and pop out at you. Using softer coloring techniques tends to make the entire piece soft and more realistic and solid. So, I suppose, depending on what effect you want from the piece, you can choose what to color with. These are just my observations though ^^; not sure if the rest of the deviants here are in agreement with me.

Also :D you probably feel like you're stagnating because you're losing the energy to practice (I know I get those downs too, especially when the coloring tends to get repetitive and tedious). That previous poster offered good advice that you should try something else :)

Good luck! :shamrock:
cherubsrock Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
thank you :)
Yeah, maybe, I admit that I like to draw female mangas...recently I accepted to make some commissions for friends to "stir the pot"...They asked me to draw stuff that I am not used to, and I challenged myself to do it...
Thank, I wasn't aware that making deviations into prints changed anything to the original file...I'll make sure next time not to change it, thanks for the advice!
:iconwindhydra:
WindHydra Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Lots of people like to draw female mangas XD
I can't color too well, so I go greyscale -> overlay. Maybe you can try that.
Overlaying? can you give me more explanations please?
Do greyscale coloring, then put a new layer on top and set the blend mode to overlay, screen, or multiply to color the greys!

Overlay can't color white areas, so you might need another grey multiply layer underneath.
Ah ok, thank you! does it work only with B&W art? I saw you have many one in your gallery...
Well, you can use the blend modes to adjust the colors underneath. It's just easier for me to start with B&W.
Multiply covers lighter colors, screen covers darker colors, and overlay seems like a combination of the two. Not really sure what it does :/
Add a Comment: