Closed to new replies
December 31, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 52

How to improve your lines!

:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
This has came up a lot recently, and is making me frown a little when people blame their computer, or tablet, pens or anything else.

If your lines are wiggly, sketchy, dodgy, this is because of YOU.

This is quite easily fixed, so don't be disheartened:
:bulletpink: Confidence - This is a big one, when people aren't entirely sure of what goes where, they press harder, draw slower, while trying to figure out where things go!

How to improve this:
:bulletpink: Draw a sketch first, understand what you want, where things will go. Without this, your drawing will suffer, because, well you just don't know what is going on!

:bulletorange: Strokes - a lot of very young artists do really quick, almost pigeon scratch type lines. You know the ones where people draw short little lines for one big line, about ten hundred in? Yeah, this is bad.

:bulletorange: How to improve this:
Draw, as before, confidently, lines are about the flow, nature and mood, draw with that, draw naturally and none hesitantly. I bet sometimes when you draw little sketches they look better, because you just don't care. As soon as you do, FFF you mess it up!!

Its okay!

::bulletpink: Tablet users!

Your tablet is not responsible for your art, it will not make you better, nor worse. There is a saying "A good Craftsman will never blame his tools!", because he knows he is responsible for his ability. It is easy to say OMG TABLET MAKES ME DRAW BAD, but you're either not taking into account that either you are a new user, or, just not good yet.

Practice, and stop blaming everything for your shortcomings, the quicker you accept these and practice, the quicker you will improve.

~ peace.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondinysrawr:
dinysrawr Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Thank you! And may I also add for tablet users - there is no brush that will suddenly make you a better artist! It bugs me when people ask 'which brush are you using' in an attempt to get some insight into suddenly becoming a good painter. There's no magic trick, only practice and experimentation.
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Brushes don't make you better, BUT they are helpful, its like traditional brushes, having a flared out brush is different to a hard round brush. They do have their advantages.
:icondinysrawr:
dinysrawr Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Woops it just occurred to me that this has nothing to do with lines P: Oh well, still a good tip.
:iconmemyone:
memyone Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I applaud you! I have been telling a few people this as well, and some of them take it to heart, but a few others get mad at me for pointing out the truth.

I made these same mistakes. It wasn't until I started practicing, studying, using the darn shoulder and elbow instead of the wrist, and gaining confidence that my lines started to look clean and looked like they were meant to be there and not just some random floating chicken scratch. xD
Totes man, we all do it. Except me, I didn't do the chicken scratches, I did however use the damn soft round brush to colour :P and didn't erase the edges. Oh my.
:icontuxedodemon:
TuxedoDemon Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
"If your lines are wiggly, sketchy, dodgy, this is because of YOU."

Thank you. Nobody ever believes me when I say this.
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Lul, I once read someone who said that a tablet had a "chip in it which made your drawings better".

I really, really wish I was joking..... D:
:icontuxedodemon:
TuxedoDemon Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
WHAT
NO
THAT'S NOT HOW ANYTHING WORKS oh my gooooood wow.
Haha, I know right? :p I called them a fucking idiot, they didn't appreciate that :P
:iconsilvershadowess:
SilverShadowess Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
Sometimes I've noticed that when I'm using my tablet, my lines get wobbly. I'm still getting used to my tablet, so the other day I realized that my lines look a lot better if I'm drawing more gently and not pressing down so hard. Still, it's harder to get precision when drawing with a light touch... gah!
Add a Comment: