Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

3D programs to create/pose a character?

:iconliciandragon:
LicianDragon Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hi! :wave: I'm a mainly 2D artist that has been dabbling in 3D art more and more. I've messed around in sculptris and blender and I'm really hoping my question can be answered with those programs.

I'm looking to build a 3D model of a character and be able to pose it. Sculptris is great for modeling but I haven't been able to find a way to pose the character after the initial modeling. Is there a way to do this? If not in sculptris and blender is another(hopefully free) program that will? Thanks for all your help! =D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondianoka:
Dianoka Jan 4, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
oops forgot link [link]
:icondianoka:
Dianoka Jan 4, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
You can download MMD and then go on deviantart to find models of absolutely anything to put into the MMD program
from pokemon to characters from other shows to even making your own! It's both an animating program and a modeling program (where you just take pictures :meow:).
:icontopaintarose:
ToPaintARose Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
If you want to pursue this fiel as a profession and have total freedom over your creativity and art, chose Blender 2D.
Daz3D, Poser, and MMD all are easy ways to get what the prefessionals actually do. They provide premade models and all the heavy-lifting is done for you. If you don't believe me just check out my icon, it's of a character I designed.
:iconredmarlin:
DAZ 3d has three different programs, all free, that might be up your alley. DAZ Studio is mainly for animation, and it has templates for people to get you started. I haven't used it too much, so I can't give you a tutorial, unfortunately, but for posing, I would try that one out.
:iconjei-art:
Jei-Art Dec 31, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Zbrush and 3dcoat combined with 3ds max is my workflow of choice.
:iconxerafcz:
XerafCZ Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
If you google makehuman the first link should be a free 3d program for easy manipulation with human figure. I havent used in few years, but it should be quite easy to work with...though i am not sure wheter you can put clothes there, you can pretty much port the 3d model with a specific pose to any 3d program and work with it from there.
:iconliciandragon:
LicianDragon Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:iconxerafcz:
XerafCZ Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
no problem :D
:iconmattcombsart:
look into character rigging. You can model and rig in a program like 3ds Max. Look into the programs your using with regards to character rigging and see if it can be done in your program.

FYI rigging is hard.
:iconachipps:
achipps Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I never tried Blender enough to know a lot about it. It just don't look as easy to work with as some of the programs I have used.

I have worked at creating models in Maya, and 3D Max and they are not very easy, but not as hard as Java and other programs.
I guess you can say the easiest program made me spoiled. Now I can make models very quickly.

You can do that too, because the programs are free. I create models with Hexagon 2. It is a free program right now at daz3d.com. They have a few programs to do a lot.

Hexagon 2 creates models.

Daz 4 renders the models.

and Bryce 7 creates the environment scenes.

But there is just on thing missing and it is not free. Poser. [link]

When you create a model you should cut it into sections like the thigh, hip, abdomen, chest and so on. Then write a text list of body parts like

1 hip xyz
2 abdomin xyz
3 chest xyz
2 thigh xyz
3 shin xyz
4 foot xyz

This is called a hierarchy script and it is saved with a new extension as PHI.
That will add all the joints to your model.
In Hexagon 2 you can select areas of your model without cutting it up and give each area a name. That keeps the model in one piece so you can import the model and Poser has a bone room that creates all the bones made the model bend at the joints.

That might sound complicated, so I think I should tell you other things Poser can do.
Poser has hair strands so you can grow and style real looking hair.
Poser has Cloth so you can make the clothes move with the model.
Poser has wind so you can blow the hair cloth and anything you want effected by the wind.
Poser with morphs of the mouth can make your model talk in sync with sound. You just make the model morphs say "O" "E" and things like that so they look like they are actually saying the words, and the program does the rest.
I have Poser 7 and it does all that, and if you can get a older version cheaper that would be great, because Poser started out as a free program, and the company selling it is selling the models that added, and you can get it any other way.

Besides a lot of tools to create models
Add a Comment: