Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

How long do you spend in front of a monitor?

:iconinvolarity:
involarity Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student Artist
I can only spend about 4 hours a day with my tablet before I get migraines, and I hear professionals can spend all day painting on them.
Do I just have eye problems or is it something those artists adjust to over time? Even though it sounds unhealthy to be staring at a screen 10 hours a day. Is there anyone like this?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongraphics-pp:
Graphics-PP Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Only 4 hours? Make sure your refresh rate on your monitor is set as high as it can go, especially if you're using a CRT monitor. I personally can't stand to look at my screen if it's set below 75hz.

To answer the question though, I probably spend a minimum of 8 hours in front of the monitor.
:iconaliecko:
Aliecko Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
14 hours for this [link]
:iconmchectr:
mchectr Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
I dunno.... 18-19 hours maybe?
:iconapastelbee:
apastelbee Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
Too long. My eyes don't tend to hurt until about 2-3 hours in if I don't watch the time. Either way, f.lux helps a lot at night, which is when I'm usually on during the hols. It adjusts the screen so it's more natural, if that makes any sense?? it helps a lot with eye strain. Link to their website - [link] ((oh man i'm a walking advert)
:icondeilawliet:
deilawliet Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Wait, you mean there's life aside from this monitor? :iconshockplz:
:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Most of the day.

I've put some time and money into having a properly ergonomic setup: my monitor is positioned so that its top is about level with my eyes, my keyboard and tablet are situated such that they're at around the height of my elbows when my arms are dangling by my sides.

If I spend most of a day sitting in a chair reading stuff off the iPad, I get a headache from angling my head down to read it.

Check your glasses, they might need a new prescription.

Also make sure the room is adequately lit. Open windows in the day for some sunlight, turn on some lights at night so you're not staring into a glaring monitor that's the only source of light.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yah, yah, yah.

I am between semesters so there is nothing else to do.

I have a lot to do when the semester starts, because I have to make up the final test. I was in the hospital for the last week during the test.

I am sure I will pass everything. I hold a 90%.
When the new year starts I will never know what the forums has.
:iconliciandragon:
LicianDragon Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I spend all day on my computer :lol: I think it's something you can get used to. If not, there are special tinted glasses you can buy that help cut down on eye strain :)
:iconco-phantom:
Co-Phantom Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It depends on how interested I'm in the piece at the moment. Usually like an 30 min. to an hour before I go do something else. I've done longer, and my eyes were sore the next morning. D:
:iconpichoochoo:
Pichoochoo Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I can spend 3 hours on my tablet. But if i don't have my tablet usually 1 hour. Professionals don't exactly spend all day painting. Well, some do. But it usually depends on the complexity of what they're drawing and usually how quick they can paint and stuff. Sometimes i take 10-20 minutes just fixing up my lineart(which makes me angry). But the pros that I see usually only spend 2-3 hours. And I'm pretty sure that staring at a screen 10 hours a day will be very unhealthy. So you should lessen your time on the computer. And artists(well, everyone) can't just adjust over time; it can actually worsen overtime sometimes. Last night I had the BIGGEST migraine and i swear i felt like dying. So I'm spending less time around technology for a while until i get better.
Add a Comment: