Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Help with Lineart and color

:iconsharlinsgirls:
SharlinsGirls Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
So I recently got back into digital art and I'd like some advise on a few things.

First being line art, I see lots of line art done in this style but I'm not sure how they do it [link] with the nice thin clean lines and stuff. I've tried it both with the brush and with the pen tool in Gimp, but the brush ends up too unclean and the pen looks to robotic. Is there a way to mix to two or what? Also, I can tell the lines aren't black, any advise on how dark they should be?

Second is on color, I've done both cell shade and soft shade [link] [link] Which one looks better? And any advise for improving my color techniques would be great! Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconimaginaricide:
Imaginaricide Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't know if this helps, and I don't know if the artist you're citing does this, but something that really gets my lineart looking smooth is just putting it down as sketchy as it comes out, then going in with a really high magnification and shaving down bumps and snags with the eraser. Yeah, it's fairly time consuming, and yeah, I have to be wary of getting so OCD about it that I start smoothing things that won't even really be seen once the piece is shrunk down to normal size, but it can be a good way to get the overall effect looking smoother.
SharlinsGirls Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Ah yes that method. I do that from time to time but it gets really long and frustrating for me to do it too much. thanks though!
:iconarkazain:
arkazain Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sigurd uses the pen tool for the line art. If you are using a stylus, I would advice that you work on a large canvas (I personally use 210mm x 297mm on 300dpi) so the lines will look smoother when you shrink it down to web size. Plus, there's the fact that small errors will be less visible when you shrink the image :)

As far as the shading goes, out of the two images you posted, I think the cell shaded one looks best, although coloring isn't just limited to those two options ;)
There are also multiple ways to cell shade and "soft shade". I use a sort of mixture of the two as you can see in my gallery.
I tend to scan images and than ink and color over them because I'm really bad at sketching digitally. My scanner doesn't seem to want to scan them in anything better than 72.

I have been considering the soft cell mix but could never quit figure out how to do it right. It's mostly cell on cast shadows and soft on the less harsh lighted areas right?
:icondeilawliet:
deilawliet Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
I think the soft cell drawing looks better.
As for the smooth lines, use a tablet, tamper with the pressure settings and smoothing of pen in whichever program you use and if its in paint tool sai, use a low min size, that'll make it very thin. A dark reddish colour also does the trick well ^^
I do use a tablet. I also use Gimp, for some reason the pressure settings don't seem to be working, I'm not sure if it's the program or the tablet not responding.
hmm, have you checked out the settings on control panel? i think there might be some settings concerning the tablet pressure. If it still doesnt work, then you could use the "paths" tool, or perhaps reduce the size of the pen to the smallest, or get a new program for the lineart then you can use gimp to colour.
I did but for some reason I can't click on anything there. And as of right now I do is a 2.0 sized brush. I use the paths tool sometimes but I always think the lines look bland since there is no depth or variation in weight.
hmm, have you checked out the settings on control panel? i think there might be some settings concerning the tablet pressure. If it still doesnt work, then you could use the "paths" tool, or perhaps reduce the size of the pen to the smallest, or get a new program for the lineart then you can use gimp to colour.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Here is the thing with digital art. It is not a pencil. If you want something that is traditional to describe digital art I would have to say working with an air brush or spray cans. Some tips give you a solid border and they are not good for blending.

With digital art, a lot of programs add something that you can't do with a spray can. and that is stroke. Once you have a shape you can use stroke to create a line around the border.

The main thing you need to think about is how the program works so you can use it, and not how you like it to work. If you want to draw better lines do it on paper, but if you want to work all digital you need to learn how to work with it. Working against the program only makes it a lot harder than ever other way. It is like thinking there is a way to click the pencil to make it fill the area without actually spending a lot of time scribbling to fill it.
You just need to work the way the programs work best. To find out how digital art works best is not much different than learning how to draw with spray cans.
Add a Comment: