Closed to new replies
December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

good canvas size for digi-art? [HELP!!!]

:iconagx-stormireaper:
AGX-StormIReaper Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So i just got a brand new wacom tablet for christmas, and i got autodesk sketchbook express with it+im downloading GIMP shop

but i dont know what is a good canvas size to start at and i dont know whats the best way to measure it by [pixels, inches, cm, etc]

really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
The important thing is to work at 300ppi

Size doesn't really matter. I think my default canvas size is 9X13 in at 300ppi and then I change the size as needed.

Just make sure it is at least the 'physical' size you need it, and twice the resolution. Or the other way around, twice the size at the resolution you want to display, but that doesn't work as well.
:icontoxicklaws:
ToxicKlaws Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I would honestly go with the biggest you can.
The bigger the canvas the easier to line it. ^^;
:iconholly-mellor:
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hey there, the best size canvas to use is the biggest size your computer can handle in all honesty! That way it can be scaled down when finished whilst keeping high levels of detail :)
:iconjornas:
jornas Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
150-300 dpi 8'x10'
:iconpizzaspaghetti:
PizzaSpaghetti Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Well for starters I recommend making sure the frame has a larger length than width, or you could accidently end up making your characters fat or too big.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
When you draw at 100% all the pixels are clear and visible, without any of them deformed to fit on your computer screen.

So the best size is no bigger than your screen.

You can try everything everyone says, but the easiest to work with is really small.

If you start too small, you will need to work with each pixel, but to get more space you just add to the canvas until you find a size that is easier. Easier, works quicker, and gives you the freedom to try anything, and that makes your art and ideas better.
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student General Artist
My canvas size varies a lot based on what I'm drawing. I try and work in standard printing sizes though, so it's easy for me to print my work if I ever want to. I've been particularly fond of 11x17inches lately, but you can work in centimeters as well. I do prefer cm/in over pixels though, for printing purposes.

The big thing you need to worry about though is dpi. If your dpi is to low your picture won't look good. I work at 300 for 95% of my stuff, but some people work even higher. Just go with what your computer can handle, since some computers slow way down if you try and go to high.
:iconsmoppet:
Smoppet Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I use inches normally and use 8.5x11, so that it fits my paper for printing.
I re-size some of my canvases later, the biggest has been 24x32, and I do this when I want things oversize printed.
So, I mean, obviously, you just aren't going to want a size that's going to be really, really tiny.
:iconmedli20:
medli20 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I normally draw at about 1000 x 1000 pixels for doodles or 2000 x 2000 pixels for paintings, then re-size the canvas as necessary. (like, if I needed more vertical space, I just add to the horizontal measure and whatnot)

As for how to measure it, always measure in pixels for digital art, unless you plan on printing it out later down the line.
:iconbleachrocks2010:
bleachrocks2010 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
To me it depends on what I am drawing or creating so any size is a good size
Add a Comment: