Closed to new replies
December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Please Help--SAI vs Photoshop

:iconjamocha101:
Jamocha101 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have visited other SAI vs Photoshop threads before, but I still find myself unable to overcome my inward controversy on which one is "better" for me. Likewise, I feel like I'm just in need of more personalized assistance. I've read pros upon pros and cons upon cons pertaining to either of the programs, either one suiting or denying all of my needs/wants.

I've read that SAI is greatest for lineart-oriented artists, with little to no lag and is popular among anime artists. I, for one, am not a fan of anime and never intend to draw it, but a lot of my projects WILL involve lineart. I hope to be able to make realistic fake screenshots for my favorite cartoons, or any of my original ones.

At the same time, lineart-type stuff is not all that I want to perform. If I ever wanted to create a painting, I would like to do so with whatever program I have, and I do tend to lean toward the more realistic end of the rope. If I ever wanted to create something remote to a speed painting or realistic portrait, is SAI capable of suiting my needs for this? I've heard that it doesn't have a wide variety of brushes, which sounds squicky to me. I liked the variety of such that I got out of Photoshop Elements when I was using it.

Somebody also mentioned that there's a long, difficult file conversion process that you have to go through with SAI. Can somebody confirm/deny, and/or explain this? I couldn't quite understand what the person was saying.

As for Photoshop, of course the variety of brushes and features turns me on. I want to create great, realistic paintings every once and a while and it sounds like Photoshop is more capable of doing this, whereas SAI pertains solely to cartoons. I realize Photoshop is not as easy to use, but I trust in my ability to adjust to it quickly. That being said, if I wanted to create the lineart-oriented art that SAI is infamous for, would I be able to do this with Photoshop? This program also has a huge community, which may make it easier for me to observe other artwork and learn from tutorials verses SAI.

If there are any misconceptions that I've made, please make me aware of them. I will gratefully hear your opinions, especially if they keep all of these preferences in mind. I'm just not sure which direction to go in. If you could include what version of either programs is best for me, that would be great. I read a tutorial that involved "groups" in Photoshop, but it mentioned not all versions have it. What versions do then, exactly?

Thank you for your help.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
SAI doesn't have that big a variety of brush shapes, and creating your own doesn't give the most... desirable results (it doesn't quite work like the brushes do in Photoshop). However, SAI has more versatile tools than Photoshop. In my opinion, regardless of what type of art you're going to do, SAI will have you covered. I don't do very anime-oriented work anymore, but I still rely on SAI very much to get the job done. I would have a program that's at least like Photoshop (I use Pixelmator/GIMP) nearby in case you need it, since SAI lacks a few fundamentals that the other program will have.
:iconjemaica:
jemaica Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I use paint tool sai for anime and non anime....but I wish I had started out using photoshop. In photoshop there is a wide variety of brushes and tools, and while sai is simple and non threatening, it just doesnt have as much.
I recently looked up Photoshop CS6 to see its price, and it seems that the only way to obtain ownership is to pay a monthly fee. I assume this means I have to have an account with Adobe? Is there anyway I can just pay one price in full for the program?
:iconjemaica:
jemaica Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I got mine through a student discount and paid one price in full!
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
You can just buy Photoshop without "renting" it from Adobe. If you're a student (or teacher) you can also buy the full program under educational pricing, where it's like... $450 cheaper.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Yes, there is. Adobe's pushing this "creative cloud" bullshit nowadays, but if you want to buy the full program... [link]
:iconhichez:
hichez Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Any semirecent version of photoshop(CS3/4- CS6) would be suitable. You have to remember that SAI and Photoshop are both just tools. They both have learning curves. Photoshop has the capacity to do many other things, so if your intrest broaden or change you already have a superior raster image editor. Plus if you want to create photorealistic images it might help to have some of the tools in photoshop so you can change the lighting of the image easily without repainting. Photoshop can also handle lineart just as well as paint tool SAI. Just google a couple of digital paintings using photoshop and you will quickly discover that. In short I think photoshop with suit you the best.
Thank you.
Add a Comment: