Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

Question about Gimp 2.8

:icon7-tan:
7-Tan Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So I recently upgraded to Gimp 2.8. And I really like it - I mean, there are more options, I have more control of my brushes and I get better results in the end.

BUT!

I don't know if it's an error in the download, or if the program is actually supposed to do this, but every time I switch between tools - say from the paintbrush tool to the eraser - my settings or the specific brush I chose for the paintbrush tool will be the same for the eraser. And if I change the size of the brush for the eraser - when I switch back to the paintbrush it's settings are altered to what I changed them to on the eraser. I used to have 2.6, and it didn't do this. Whatever settings I had on the eraser didn't change the settings I had on the paintbrush.

So my question! How do I get it to stop changing the settings for my eraser tool when I altered the settings on the paintbrush? Or vice versa?

It's killing my sanity - constantly changing the settings for each tool! Because I bounce back and forth from the eraser to the paintbrush CONSTANTLY! And it's just a royal pain in the ass!

Also - this new version doesn't recognize when I flip my pen over. That's kinda annoying too, so if anyone knows how to fix that I'd really appreciate it!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontaurick:
Taurick Dec 29, 2012  Student General Artist
Go to Gimp "Edit" (should be on the top right) then select "Preferences" (near the bottom of the Edit menu)
The preferences menu will pop up then click "Tool options". (should be on the left of the window)

Next go to "Paint options shared between tools"...
Deselect or uncheck the boxes or tools (Brush, Dynamics, Pattern and Gradient)

Hit okay and it should stop doing that...
Unless you reinstall gimp or it crashes before saving the option and closing out of the program.
7-Tan Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you so much!~ I did that and it worked! You're a life saver! :heart:
:iconhichez:
hichez Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, there were a lot of conceptual changes to the entire brush system, so I'm sure they made it this way by design. As for the eraser, I'm not sure what tablet you are using, but go to:

edit> input devices> Then make sure that all of your tablet gear is enabled for screen/ window. You also have to start gimp with your tablet for this to work on some computers.
7-Tan Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you! This was exactly what I needed to do to get my eraser to work! :heart:
:icontheblackbullets:
TheBlackBullets Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That's just how it works.
Add a Comment: