Statistics

Replies: 3

Brushes help.

:iconasparticus:
Asparticus Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Yo.

Kinda of a rookie with digital art :p

I need some help with brushes.

What brush is level is good for sketching and inking?
What brush is good to use out of all the phothoshop brushes you get? ( i have cs6 btw)
What brush or brush level should i use to shade my sketches?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjornas:
jornas Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yep, the default Hard Round Brush is what i mainly use for most things. Custom brushes are nice for painting and what not but are not required.
:iconalantherobot:
AlanTheRobot Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
99% of the time I, and most artists, use the hard round brush. I usually have it set to 3 presets:

Pen controls size.
Pen controls size+opacity.
Pen controls opacity.

Mainly I use the last, then the first two for details. *to set the pen pressure to control opacity, cs6 calls it transfer in the brush panel.

For sketching, since you use CS6 you'll have these brushes somewhere... I use one of the new dynamic brushes (I'm not quite sure they're called that). But anyways they're the ones were you can see the tip move on your screen. It's what most of the mixer brushes are made from. The brush image will be an icon instead of an image. I used one that looks like a triangular piece of chalk, and another that looks like a pencil with a sharp tip. I modified both a bit to my liking. My favorite is the second because it recognizes tilt very well and you can shade like you would shade with the side of the lead in real life.

I'm not sure what you mean by brush level? size? opacity? whatever you mean, just try each out and figure out what range works best for you. I constantly change the size of my brushes and my opacity settings vary and are in the 30-70% range usually.
:iconpyxelle-art:
Pyxelle-art Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
95% of the time I'm using a hard round brush. My 'lineart' brush has a few settings to make the line crisper, but that's just because of the work I do needing crisp lines: it would be fine default for normal work. I use that brush for sketching, inking, and blocking in shading. My other hard round brush is set so that it's opacity and flow is linked to pen pressure: I also use that to sketch, rarely to ink, and to do soft shading.
I have a couple more special brushes to make life easier when doing, say, water, but honestly a hard round brush with a few tweaks will do just about everything you need :)

Oh, I also like a square brush with the opacity linked to pen pressure.
Add a Comment: