Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Keeping my hand steady

:iconjunjoupen:
JunjouPen Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Digital Artist
So recently I bought a tablet, and I'm having a bit of trouble with drawing smoother lines for things like hair and such (like it would clearly be wobbly here and there)
The wobbly parts aren't too obvious, but it bothers me a little if I see it.
So I was just wondering, is there any way to keep my hand steady or get smooth lines? Or do I just need more time to practice and get used to the tablet? It would be great if you can help :)

P.s I use a Bamboo Splash tablet, and I use Manga Studio Debut 4 for the outlining

Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Well you COULD always use the pen tool if your program supports it, but for drawing freehand it comes down to 1) practice and 2) knowledge of how the material works.

the first is self-explanatory, like Self-epidemic said it comes down to confidence with strokes.

The second is your knowledge about how to define and picture a specific material. For example, hair is a lot flimsier than most materials, so you will have to know how to make the hair look flimsier than the flesh and skin of your character, but less flimsy than, say, water. It comes down to real-life drawing a lot of the time, but when that is nailed, I don't think that accurate strokes will matter as much. I'm not so good at drawing I can say it for certain, but I have a feeling that those two are complementary skills :shrug:
Alright, I'll keep in mind what you said. Thank you! :)
:iconwindhydra:
WindHydra Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Try using line smoothing/stabilizing, if there is one.
Sadly there isn't one :( but thank you for suggesting it :)
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
It is just HOW you are drawing your lines, you're either being super nervous and thinking OMG I NEED THIS PERFECT or doing small, short strokes. You need to draw more freely, relax, draw long,swift lines rather than short ones. The more confidence you have the better your lines will become.
Thanks for the advice :D
It is quite all right :) I would suggest looking at some videos of your favorite artists, you'll see that they draw lines very confidently, its something that comes with practice! Make sure you have your sketch perfect so that you don't have to worry that it makes no sense, that will help :)
Aright. I'll do my best :)
I don't doubt that you will, good luck :) you will get there with a bit of practice :)
:iconepsilonxiii:
EpsilonXIII Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I was having the same sort of problem too,
Thanks for the advice!
Add a Comment: