Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

I need help making a person look more feminine? Urgent!

:iconjinxkatty7:
jinxkatty7 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been drawing a character here with my tablet in Gimp. [link] AS you can see, she looks a little too manly. I've been trying to fix her up for a while now but I just can't think of much else. I don't want to move on to coloring yet because I don't like how it looks. PLEASE!!! Can I have some suggestions. :please:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:) Thanks you guys! I remade it on a new layer and she looks feminine enough now. ^^; Still a few things I need to fix but now I feel more confident and I actually know what I'm doing instead of just being lost. :D
:iconpushyreeder:
pushyreeder Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional General Artist
Head is too small,arms too short and stubby,no hips,waist is too wide.I don't mean to be mean,but I really think you should look at some fashion magazines and start over.Don't worry though.I know you'll get it right!
:) Okay.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
The anatomy is all wrong, entirely wrong. The arms, chest and head are all dis proportioned. Go back, figure out your anatomy and start again.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Digital Artist
Shoulders and torso should be smaller and taper the wrist a bit narrower. Her head and face are fine. :)
:iconmad-shrewd:
mad-shrewd Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
OK, this will probably sound harsher than it really is.

The head is too small, the arm on the left at the bicep is too thick. You haven't shaded at all under the breasts, so they look flat and manly. And you probably want to give more curve to the wrists so that they don't look so thick. Thick wrists and ankles tend to make the appendage look bigger than they are.

I think if you address those points, that the picture will probably start to look a lot less masculine fairly quickly. You might want to shrink the waist a bit, but I'm not sure that's really necessary.

I think you're probably closer to having it right than you're giving yourself credit for. Sometimes one is a bit too close to ones own work to see what is and isn't working.
:) Thanks, I will try to fix those. I have very minimal experience with human anatomy. ^^; I normally draw chibi-like characters a lot.
In that case, you want to start with the skeleton. Add flesh to that. Once you've got that, then hang the clothes off of the body.

Trust me, it's the best way. By doing a basic skeletal frame, you can make sure the proportions are right before you invest a lot of time and energy in the rest of it. The main problem you have is one of proportion. Drawing the skeleton first, will get the proportion and perspective correct.

I mostly draw comics, but this is something that I care a lot about, because it means that I can have more accurate drawings and waste less time redrawing.
I will try redrawing it on a new layer. :P So I can keep some of the details. Like many others said, the picture does need to be re-worked.
Bear in mind that I tend to draw the same thing several times on paper before I'm able to create what I'm happy with. It's the way I do it, I very quickly sketch the basic composition.

Find yourself a good anatomy reference guide to help you a long. And learn how to construct guidelines for things like the face. I personally learned a ton from: [link] It's for animators and cartoonists, but realistic perspective drawing is a must for anything that uses drawing.

You'll have to work at learning to measure, but for the most part, things tend to be proportioned by head heights, or at least that's how I usually do it.
Add a Comment: