Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Anatomy help

:iconwildfreespirit:
WildFreeSpirit Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Okay, so I have this (now late) Christmas gift for a friend. XD And I have to digitally paint the male backside. Torso and legs. And I am having a terrible time with it :ohnoes:

I have referenced the muscular structure but I cannot get it right, it looks /too/ muscley. And its not something that I want.

If anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated!

Note me or comment, I am always open to any sort of help :)

Thanks DA members c:

-Wild.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpyxelle-art:
Pyxelle-art Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
This is already late as you said, you may want to just present it as a "here's a present, happy day!" gift instead of a specific event gift ;) that would give you time to do a few more studies. I think you need to work on 'seeing' and translating 3d information into a 2d image: his back is not in perspective to itself, the centerline seems smushed in because of this.

I did a paintover of how I would approach it (I'm not great at men though, so it's mainly based off of a variety of muscle refs xD). (warning, backside)
[link]
I enjoyed the exercise, I may have gotten a little carried away, but how muscley he appears will basically depend on how much fat and skin you decide to drape on the form.
WildFreeSpirit Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ohh Thank you so much! :D This helps loads c: :huggle:
And yeah it is pretty late xD Granted I have been working on this piece for about a month and a half if not longer xD doing all kinds of studies both on the computer and human reference xD ( i feel bad for my friends sometimes, they always end up being a test monkey x3 )
And yeah with the center line, It really was just a draft with color XD I was always messing around with it.
:iconpyxelle-art:
Pyxelle-art Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
XD I know what you mean! Sometimes I feel bad because I'm always testing out things, hehe.
WildFreeSpirit Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
ahaha xD I just get frustrated when I cant get it to all look right c: but this is something I do wanna get done xD I feel like it would be a piece that would have some giggles c: so that is the driving force that makes me pursue it.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
It's not just a painting issue. His back is WAY to narrow, see how small and squished his shoulder blades look? You're not going to be able to do muscle realistically until the anatomy is corrected.
WildFreeSpirit Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you! :) hehe c: Also I thought it was the angle of the back as well that made it look a little smushed but then I look at it again and think 'eh maybe not o.o' XD

Granted this is my first real attempt at the human anatomy >< So I knew there would be something off xD

But thank you so much for the help (: :heart:
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Have a look at this picture: [link]

See how the shoulder blades almost meet over the spine? They cover most of the back.
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Can you show a WIP on it?    

WildFreeSpirit Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I cant show the whole thing, It would need a mature warning XD but this is the major issue [link] xD
Add a Comment: