Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Digital drawing/painting programs...don't want to spend an arm & a leg.

:iconswtjennjennd:
SwtJennJennD Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional General Artist
I am fairly new to digital creating, and have used Photoshop in the past for photo finishing.
That being said- I am looking for a good digital drawing/painting program for my mac...

I create most of my artwork on my iPad with Procreate, but still love creating using my wacom. I bought Sketchbook pro and am totally unhappy with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have looked at the prices of some of these and couldn't believe how expensive they are. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm just a hobbyist.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmatsuemon:
Matsuemon Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Hey Jenn,
Photoshop Elements is a good choice, especially if you've already had experience with the full version. GIMP is also very good, and FREE! They just did a huge update recently, so it's worth checking out. If you don't need any of the filters and photo-editing tools, and have used traditional media before, then Corel Painter is great. But it's a bit expensive, of course, unless you get it cheaper on Ebay or Amazon, which I did. As someone else mentioned, Manga Studio is very good, but if you don't need any vector drawing tools or the comic tools, it made not be right for you.
:iconpichoochoo:
Pichoochoo Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You can download Paint Tool SAI -->[link]
SwtJennJennD Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional General Artist
Thanks. I'll try it out.
:iconjornas:
jornas Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Try looking into manga studio 5.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
When ever you buy something make sure it has Photoshop.

I used ever version of Photoshop with demos and Limited Editions that came with other things like scanners, tablets, or computer software. The limited editions are the full versions, with a limited license, but even the full version only allows one user. So it is the same thing. Photoshop Elements does everything an artist needs, and there are a few things it don't do, but that don't effect an artist. I think Photoshop Elements is always under $100, but anything you can buy around $100 and get Photoshop Limited Edition is a real bargain.
:iconcaptianjames:
captianjames Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Autodesk sketch book is like 40 or 30 bucks depending on where u go.
SwtJennJennD Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional General Artist
I used the free (lite) version of Sketchbook and liked it well enough- but once I started working with Procreate on my iPad, I realized how limited it is. Too bad I realized that after I bought the full version. For $30- it is ok; had Copic colors, but not my favorite I guess. I just wish I could get Procreate to play well with other programs- but that's another thread all together.
:iconcaptianjames:
captianjames Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
hmmmm i see i think that it's all preference really and what you need im not crazy about autodesk sketch book i prefer using photoshop or just doing it by hand then using adobe illustrator to do vector inking. However, I'm really getting into doing 3d models and then taking them into photoshop or something and work off of that.
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Besides GIMP and MyPaint, you might want to take a look at Inkscape to round out your toolset with vector graphics.
SwtJennJennD Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional General Artist
I'll check out Inkscape. Thanks.
Add a Comment: