Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 48

iPad Vs. Wacom -

:iconbreathlessartist:
BreathlessArtist Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
With the first release of the “iPad” it changed the whole concept of the “tablets” completely.

Some of us as artist thought why can’t we draw on it like we draw on paper?

This gave the idea for a collection of incredibly great apps that we enjoy “not me yet :)” but so far the drawing or painting experience wasn’t as great as the graphic tablet’s specially Wacom tablets.

And no man on earth can resist the urge to buy a wacom cintiqe :) specially the 24HD touch “drooling”.

But they are too expensive. Not anyone could afford it! The solution back then was to buy an intuos tablet and use it until you can afford buying a cintiq.

You might ask what’s this got to do with the “iPad” here?

Here is my answer:

for me I Love drawing on paper. The first time I bought a graphic tablet I had a hard time getting used to drawing while looking at the computer screen and my hand is in another dimension moving around with the stylus on the tablet’s surface. :) I got used to it but drawing on paper is still the choice for me right now.

I thought about purchasing an iPad but there was a major problem there which is “pressure sensitivity”. The iPad doesn’t provide a touch sensitivity surface like graphic tablets.

That was until now when I was searching for an iPad stylus for my sister’s. that’s when I found about these great news> they made a pressure sensitive styluses for the iPad! Not that great pressure sensitivity of a cintiq or an intuos but it does exist :)

The stylus is connected to the iPad via Bluetooth and the stylus itself is the one who’s pressure sensitive :)

The top styluses on the market right now are the “Jot touch” and “Pogo connect”.
you can google them as I don't know if I'm allowed to put their site links or not.

the “Pogo connect” is like a marker but not that big while the “Jot touch” look just like a pen that’s why I like the “pogo connect” more because with “Jot touch” the risk of getting the iPad screen scratched is higher and no one would like to scratch their iPad screen :)

my question here is :

Should I get an iPad with a pressure sensitive stylus for now and I know it will get the job done for “me” until I save for a cintiq “it’ll take a year or 2 :)”, or should I buy an intuos5 although it major issues with its surface & pen nibs and requires a protective screen for the surface & changing the nibs constantly and they’re expensive too? I'm a bit confused right now but my heart is going for the iPad with a stylus. I'll get a portable tablet with me anywhere that i can sketch any time at any place and have my music & video collection with me all the time plus an amazing set of apps too.

what's your opinion? what would you prefer to buy? and why? your comments will help me decide. :)

thanks in advance. :) :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconageen:
Ageen Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Back in 2010 my parents asked me wether I wanted a graphic tablet or an iPad and I have chosen my Wacom- best decision ever. I have used iPad - not with a pressure sensitive stylus, but still. If you want to produce higher quality art and develop more in general- I'd recommend Intuos, for it's size, it's precizion and range of customizable options.
BreathlessArtist Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That's true.a specialized device for Art is much better. Thanks :)
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
I can't really say, since I haven't used an iPad or direct-touch tablet like Cintiq, but I can vouch for the Intuos and say that, especially once you get used to it, it's very easy to use. I really don't have many complaints about not looking directly at what I'm drawing on.
BreathlessArtist Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't have many complains about that issue too but who wouldn't buy a Cintiq or hope to get one someday :D

I'll go for an Intuos5. Thanks :)
:icontildsart:
TildsArt Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I have one already but if I had to decide again, I'd buy a graphic tablet.. I've never thought about using an iPad really :P
It's more professional I think as it's done for the purpose of drawing
That's true. I'm going for an Intuos5. Thanks :)
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
this is stupid. they are two entirely different things for entirely different purposes.

you wasted a lot of time waxing on about a meaningless comparison.
:icondinysrawr:
dinysrawr Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Fat lot of help you are lol
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
at least I'm not fat like you are.
:icondinysrawr:
dinysrawr Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
AT LEAST I CAN GET MORE BITCHES THAN U
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
No reason to get mad about it :lol:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
you're the one getting mad. look at how hard you're raging. your apoplectic fury defies description.

you're angry.
you don't need to go around saying "this is stupid" !!! that's not polite at all!

I was asking for people to explain a few things for me to help me make my decision. If you can help that's cool & I'll thank you for that but if you can't just don't say anything & I'll respect you for it. simple as that!
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
"I was asking for people to explain a few things for me to help me make my decision."

you wrote about 5,000 words too many for that.
:iconmimetalk:
mimetalk Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Filmographer
Well, drawing on the ipad, even with a stylus, is a lot more challenging than you'd be led to believe. Styluses get stuck on screens with screen protectors, so you're at a risk of scratching your ipad with that beautiful pressure-sensitive Pogo Connect, unless you're just going to deal with it getting caught and potentially tearing on your screen. The Pogo Connect is a great fun thing to have in your pocket for doodling or as something you will potentially have to replace with extensive use, but as someone who, I assume, wishes to draw fairly regularly, I don't think it's your best bet.

I dont know who ever told you that a protector is necessary for a wacom tablet. Ease up a bit on your drawing hand and learn that "draw" means to pull, not push, because I had a tablet as old as they come and before I replaced it a few years ago it still hadn't experienced the levels of damage you're implying your poor intuos would experience.

As for the nibs statement, I go to CalArts, use my tablet daily for several hours, and I've replaced my nib only once, and that was before school even started because the one I was using I had been using for two years. You'll replace nibs more frequently if the felt one is your favorite, but there are more replacement nibs that come with the tablet than any sane person should be able to use up within a period of five years or more.

Don't talk yourself into buying something for more money that's not worth it. Cintiqs aren't that great. Useful for people who have to be on the computer drawing for a majority of their working day, but most professionals still use Intuos tablets. They work, and once you know how to use it, there's no reason to 'upgrade'. The only appeal is cutting out the learning curve, but for several thousand dollars I'd rather just learn to use an Intuos tablet.

If you're set on an iPad, don't do it because you've convinced yourself it's better. iPads are fun, but not superior, or equal, to working on a full-fledged computer. Also, by the time you've bought your apps, ipad, an appropriate case (considering how paranoid you are about things getting damaged), and the pogo connect, you're looking at about the same price as a small cintiq, maybe even a medium one if you don't mind going back a generation.

Get what you want because you want it. You don't need to justify anything.
Thank you for the explanation about the nib wear issue. I have a tablet and I'm not the kind of people who "push" the pen at all just simple strokes & small pressure here & there as the tablet have 1024 sensitivity levels & the Intuos5 has 2048 sensivity levels which is far more great. so as you explained the major cause with the people who're complaining about fast nib wear is that they just putting excessive pressure over the nib. I thought it happens with everyone!

as for the iPad + the pogo connect I've read some In-depth reviews & they mentioned the lag & that it's not that great and I didn't convince myself it's better. I was just asking to get a feedback from the people who've used any of them just to help me make my decision.

so I'm now between getting an Intuos5 or wait for the Intuos6 if only it's expected to be released in March 2013. I've sent wacom an e-mail asking for info about expected release date of the Intuos6 & waiting for their response.

Thanks for your help :)
mimetalk Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Filmographer
Just remember that even an intuos 4 will get the job done. Pressure sensitivity above several hundred is far more than I think you'll ever be using any time soon. The human hand isn't capable of applying one thousand, let alone two thousand conscious and intentional levels of pressure.Your lineart will not suffer. Trust me on this one. The original Intuos tablets still function well Without hardware issues. The only advantage to newer tablets are the shortkey buttons and the added feature of being wireless. Buy a used large wacom 4 for the price of a small new tablet and enjoy it until the sides crack open, which wont be ever if you take care of it. The only reason to replace a tablet is when you cant buy nibs for the pen anymore or if for some reason in five years computer's no longer support USB inputs (which I'm pretty sure they will).
Thank you for the extra info. :) you've been very helpful and I do appreciate that.
:iconvisaga:
visaga Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think you should get an Intuos 5 :) I have an iPad myself and I also use pogoconnect and it gets the job done, but if I had a tablet then the quality of my art would be raised a ton. Of course if you got an iPad, you could do loads of different stuff on it besides drawing whereas tablets are only for art. But I would personally get the Intuos 5, use it for a few years and save up money, then sell it on eBay or something and buy the Cintiq :D I know a few people who have Intuos 5 and they love it!

Of course you could always wait for the Intuos 6 to come out =P
BreathlessArtist Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I found a pogo connect owner here at last :) what's the drawbacks or the cons you've noticed? is it that great or not?
as for the tablet. I have the same thought about getting an Intuos and save up some money to buy a Cintiq but I won't sell my Intuos :D
I think that Wacom released the Intuos5 in March this year so I might wait till March 2013 and get my self a new Intuos6 :D
The iPad with pogo connect is an intriguing option but who knows!

I'm kind of going for the Intuos but I'll wait for the Intuos6 and enjoy my old tablet for a while :)
visaga Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well the cons:
-the end is a bit thick so it's hard to get an accurate line.
-Since iPad's surface area is smaller than printer paper, sometimes the stylus blocked my view of the art.
-the battery makes it heavier than say wacom's pens.
But other than that it's pretty good, the pressure is fine, but I would still recommend a tablet :)
Yeah, you might want to wait for the Intuos6 :D Good luck!
Thank you.. you've been very helpful :)
visaga Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
welcome :D Glad I was a help.
:iconminustwoseventhree:
minustwoseventhree Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
So, judging from your comments, you'd rather an iPad for drawing than an actual graphics tablet just because of the pen nibs?
Usually the tablet comes with three or more replacement nibs. They're also really cheap to buy if you look online. You can't buy them too cheap from wacom themselves because obviously it's their product and they want as much money as possible.
But you can also get covers for the tablet that reduces the friction so the nibs don't wear down even nearly as quickly.

But it depends on you. I feel it's a lot easier to draw on a graphics tablet because that's what they're designed to do, and you can get much more levels of pressure sensitivity.
But personal opinions, yeah?
I wouldn't choose an iPad over a graphics tablet. I have a graphics tablet already but it's an old one and not wacom.
I didn't even think about the iPad before. I was saving to buy an intuos5. but the problems with fast nib wear got me hesitated in the first place :
[link]
[link]
some guys reported the nib wears after 2 days only! with intuos5. and that's a major problem if I had to buy a replacement nibs every one or 2 weeks not to mention the costs too!

I thought I can buy an iPad for now with a pressure sensitive pen combined with my old tablet until Wacom releases a new intuos and see if they've fixed this problem or not.
----
it's obvious from your comment that you own an intuos, so can you provide a site or store link for a good supplier of a cheaper replacement nibs than Wacom's ? that will be much appreciated :)
I have no experience with Intuos, but my Wacom Bamboo nibs take months to wear down. After 2,5 years of using it I have only replaced it once or twice.
That's assuring. Thanks :)
:iconminustwoseventhree:
minustwoseventhree Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
You can just make your own. It's really just a thin plastic rod and nothing more. People have made them out of plastic wire and similar things.
Alternately, the intuos has a protective cover that you can buy, which reduces the friction. I've not tried it myself, but people have said it works.

But although the initial wear on the nib seems dramatic, it smooths down soon. You can continue using it if there's some wear, the nib really has no "special" purposes. Unless you're leaning very heavily, they should last several months.
Thanks a lot for your help. totally appreciated :)
mimetalk Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Filmographer
Just for the record, if it takes someone 2 days to wear down a wacom nib, they are dangerously close to being the missing link, because that's some serious pressure being applied to that screen. A wacom can withstand more pressure drawing than an iPad could ever hope of achieving, so do not believe this ape-child. My school has people using their Intuos tablets nearly 24/7 in the labs and the nibs rarely need replacing. You will see minimal wear within a few days of use, yes, but because you're rubbing plastic on plastic. That's a bit of a duh. You don't need to replace the nib as soon as you see wear, though. It'll function until its too short for you to use the pen properly.
Thanks for the info. this explains a lot.
:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
if you dont own a tablet atm just buy a wacom bamboo(their cheap and get the job done) then in time upgrade it. Youll produce better work with a wacom tablet then an ipad.
I own a genius tablet not a wacom one. I think I might consider buying a bamboo tablet for now until the release of intuos6 to see if wacom fixed the issue with fast nib wear or not. Thanks for suggestion Matt :)
searched about bamboo pen nib wear and as I expected! the nibs wear really fast just like intuos.. and the replacement nibs for either bamboo or intuos5 are expensive too!! looks like I'm not going to buy either a bamboo or an intuos5.
Nibs for Bamboo do not wear down fast! In the package you get 3 replacements and I am sure they can last you for at least 2 years of hardcore usage- which is basicly what I've been doing so far (drawing constantly, using tablet instead of a mouse).
Not to mention this thing is freakin' indestroyable. I have dropped in on the ground numerous times, spilled water, tea, coke and even nail polish remover over it... May not look as good, but still works fantastic.

Although, seeing form your comments, you really don't want to get a graphic tablet and just look for a confirmation (I know I shouldn't assume, I'm sorry if I'm wrong). If you really feel like iPad is a better choice, just go for it ;)
I might get an Intuos5 or wait a few months for the Intuos6. :)

I don't if you assume something like that but I'm not looking for a confirmation. I just wanted to find someone who tried both to give me their opinion so I could make my own decision. :)

Thank you for your help :)
Ageen Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student Digital Artist
:)
Intuos 6 will take at least a few more years. Intuos 5 just came out this year and it took Wacom 3 years to make it.
I Thought they will update it in a year or so. :) :)

Thanks for the tip. :)
:iconlemon1986:
lemon1986 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Personally the ipad is a great experience not only for drawing but in about everything! But they're not cintiqs, not close and will never be any time soon! The only good advantage is the ipad uses an advanced IPS screen!

I have both ipad 3 and intuos5! I bought the ipad for sketching on the go, and trust me! It was an enjoyable experience but the intuos 5 has a LOT more potential! When it comes to performance and want to SERIOUSLY IMPROVE you art skills, then intuos5 is a no brainer! Unless you're a hobbiest and taking drawing as something to kill boredom then ipad would be a perfect toy!
I know the iPad is no way close to a cintiq. but i can't afford to buy a cintiq in my country "it costs about 20,000 EGP" which are a lot of money. I was thinking about buying an intuos5 but there are so many complains about it's grainy surface and the fast pen nib wear. and the pen nibs is expensive too. I'm not a professional artist "yet". I'm studying art and I want to be a great artist too but I thought about the iPad with the pressure sensitive pen as I'd use it with my old dying tablet and wait for the new intuos6 to be released to see if wacom fixed the problem with the surface & pen nibs. perhaps you could enlighten me about the pen nibs problem as an owner of an intuos5. and thank you :)
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Then buy an Intuos 4. It will be cheaper and just as good.
Thanks for the suggestion but the problem with the nib wear exists since intuos4 till now. we don't even know if it'll be fixed with the release of intuos6.
you can check the threads on the official wacom forums here :

[link]

[link]
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Glad I still have my Intuos 2
Glad you do man :) I think I might wait for the release of intuos6 or not. but who knows!
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
:) :) :) :) :) No.
:) :) :) :)
:iconhypergirl95:
HyperGirl95 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Tough question to answer. It all depends on you. However, I'd go for the Intuos5, because I already have a PC and I don't think you'll get good results from drawing on an iPad (but that's just my opinion). If the iPad was a good replacer of the graphics tablet then I guess a lot of people would be drawing with it and prefer it more. But again I'm not so sure because I don't have an iPad, I never tried it out and I can't tell you for sure if it's worth it. Graphics tablets are built specifically only for drawing, that's why they exist. If tablets were the better graphic tablets than the business of the real graphic tablets would fall apart and they will be stopped from production, but I doubt that's likely, because no matter how good a PC tablet or iPad's good the graphics tablet will always be the better art instrument. I'd still recommend you to ask other people or check reviews on other websites. I hope this helps. Good luck! :wave:
I'm checking the reviews & some videos too. I Like the intuos5 but there is a problem with pen nibs which wear in short time and it's expensive to get a replacement pen nibs and too many people are complaining about this problem. so I'd prefer to wait for intuos6 and see if wacom fixed this problem or not. until then I'll work with my old tablet and the ipad with the pressure sensitive stylus.
----
I'm totally with you that the tablets will always be the better art instruments for now :) but I want to wait and get an intuos6 after wacom fixes the problem.
Add a Comment: