Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Why Cintiq 12WX screen display area is so small?

:iconhokunin:
Hokunin Dec 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I always wondered why? I mean, the Wacom cintiq 12WX is big by itself on the whole, but the screen area is TINY. Is it some technological limitation or was it "brilliant" idea of wacom engineers?

You could actually fit in a pretty big screen(relatively) and make it high resolution(My little smartphone has the same resolution!), because so much tablet area is left unused.

Anybody knows, is wacom planning to make a new portable tablet debute in the near future?

thanks

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconzarem:
Zarem Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
While waiting for Wacom to come up with their senses, I suggest you turn your attention to some tablet PCs coming out nowadays, especially like Samsung Slate PC or the one I particularly desire - Samsung ATIV Smarp PC Pro: it's Win8 tablet with digitizer by Wacom - same 1024 sensitivity levels, and you actually can run full Photoshop directly on them (as well as anything graphically related). Doing some ZBrushing, for instance, while travelling on transportation - it's kinda cool. Though yeah, the screen size is pretty much the same as of 12 WX (greater resolution thouh), so I might be not much of a help here...
:iconsosfactory:
SOSFactory Dec 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I find the size ok, I use it as portable device while I use my 21UX for office work. What I find really insulting is caling this device as portable when you need a bunch of wires to make it work.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This product has been released in 2007, so developed in 2005 or something like that, the choice they made was probably due to some economic and technological limitation.
I'm not sure that they will try to make a new portable tablet in the future, due to its size it would face all ipad like tablets with a more limitations and a higher price. The fact that the newest cintiq is a 24" clearly shows that their customer are waiting for big screen and not small ones.
But of course I can be wrong =)
Maybe you are right, but I believe there gotta be an artists who have a need for portable cintiq(as carrying it around with a laptop in backpack). Big cintiqs are too huge and bulky. And while there might be relative competition with ipads, you can't launch full photoshop on them...
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah I can't imagine having the 24HD in a backpack :rofl:
Adobe has developed a tablet version of photoshop, nothing comparable with the true one, but everything is going quite fast in this area... If wacom want to have small products they should make a tablet like the ipad with their specific technology (pen reactivity, pressure sensitivity) and with the possibility to use it as a conventional cintiq.
This would be a great product able to survive the competition, but do they have enough money to develop and launch such product ?
:iconorochiswe:
OrochiSWE Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
AT the time when they made it they probably didn't have any access to high-resolution panels etc. From the release date count on at least 1-2 more years back for the design-period and they usually design and chose the hardware then as well. And since you sit so close to it having a high pixel density is nice, like on your phone, and then keeping the screen small is one way to achieve that. I mean, 5" displays with 1080p resolution is something that got finished for products a few weeks ago so maybe in a near future you'll have a larger more high-res display for your tablet :)
Yeah, that make some sense... Gotta wait for a new display tablet model then....
:iconorochiswe:
OrochiSWE Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Personally they are a bit too expensive for me ^^' 999$ for the current 12WX is a lot :O and 2500$ for the 24HD? it's like whoa :O
Add a Comment: