Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

need help with stroking image in photoshop

:iconfrosen24:
fROSEn24 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
ok i got an issue. once i finish my picture i try to go to photoshop to put stroke effects around it and nothing appears or shows up when i try to do that. i dont really need instructions on how to do it because it has worked before when i had to stroke text...but thats just it it only works for stroking text even though i have the image layer selected. so please help me

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Photographer
Merge your layers or make sure you've selected the layer you want to stroke.
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Are you sure your layer is transparent and has no background on it? If you are working on a flat image that has a solid background, adding a stroke on the layer will add it around the whole canvas, not the specific part you want it to. If that's not the case, make sure that you have Center or Outside selected for the stroke in case there's a layer on top of the one you're selecting that's covering the stroke.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
So... what, are you taking a raw scan of your drawing and trying to add a stroke effect? That's not going to affect anything inside the scan.
naw i finish a picture and then try to add stroke to the outside of the image
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
But is this a separate layer, or a flattened image
:iconmichaelmetcalf:
MichaelMetcalf Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
You aren't giving enough information, but my guess is that you are either stroking a flattened image with only one layer, or you are stroking a layer that doesn't have any transparent areas.
:iconkaber13:
kaber13 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
well, there are two ways to create a stroke and are you sure your using a color other than the background color? Also, I usually stroke center, if it's interior or outer and of the same color as either, respectivly, you won't see it. And of course, is the layer your selecting on a transparent background?
yeah im using a color other than the background i actually switch between different colors but nothing happens also i am not doing it on a transparent layer because i already made a copy of the original background and started working on it . but you said you stroke center i thought u were supposed to stroke outer to render that highlight effect around an image? im confused
:iconkaber13:
kaber13 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Ahh, well, yeah. You could make a selection, stroke that and then gausian blur or just use the "outer glow" effect under layer effects, you can right click on the layer effect and make it a layer unto itself and then play with it independently. For the stroke to work you either have to have a selection or the object has to be on its own layer. You can also stroke a path by useing the pen tool to creat the "path" and then right clicking and selecting stroke. If your object is on a layer with a background then all your going to stroke is the edges of that background, in most cases that would be the edges of your canvas.
Add a Comment: