Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

GIMP 2.6 tips, anyone?

:iconsuperpiejr:
superpiejr Dec 23, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
To he blunt, digital art programs are not my thing. I like to be mainly a traditional artist. However, there are times when I feel the need to draw on a tablet, but GIMP is like an alien language to me. Anyone have tips for future reference when using it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaliciane:
Aliciane Dec 24, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Well I don't know if this can be of any use since I'm painting in quite a realistic style, but this is some sort of tutorial I've made some months ago : [link]

I also know this tutorial on digital painting with Gimp that is great and covers several techniques as long as the associated settings : [link]

When you're familiar with the settings and the interface, you can simply jump in following tutorials for Photoshop, that's how I learned, since the two software are quite similar :)
:iconhmontes:
HMontes Dec 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
Well I got into Gimp because I did have experience with other paint programs in the past. There are tutorials you can find and books as well. But with most programs you simply have to get in and learn it to get the most out of it. I found that the Gimp Shop plugin made it more of a painters program. There are quite a few groups here dedicated to GIMP so you could try asking there for help.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Go to 'help' and read through it. It's not a GREAT tutorial, but it'll get you oriented.
:iconmamal2:
Mamal2 Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Corel isnt free, but there are probably trials for it.

MyPaint, imo, is one of the better digital drawing applications because there is little between you and drawing, as far as the interface goes. You basically open it up and start drawing. From the start, you basically just need to select a brush and go.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Get Corel.
:iconsuperpiejr:
superpiejr Dec 23, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Is it free? I'm asking because my wallet is currently empty.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Nop.

[link]
Add a Comment: