December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Fringe Effect in Photoshop?

:iconxevangelica:
xEvangelica Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hey there guys :)

Glad you clicked this link. Y'see, I have this huge problem that's been greatly bothering me. In SAI, there was a "fringe effect" that...well, gives a darker fringe around the brushes used on the layer. I'm currently experimenting with Photoshop and am in the process of making an artwork with it. I used the "wet edges" effect on the brushes and it seemed to duplicate the "fringe effect" from SAI quite nicely...except the fact that it built up. It went over one another. I unticked the build-up brush effect but there was no noticeable change. Can someone help me? Is there a way to prevent build-up on the brush? Or, if not, is there a downloadable brush with a similar effect that I can use?

I don't know if I explained this clearly. Please ask if there's something you don't understand in my question :/

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Poking around sai tell I figured out what the fringe effect was in all honesty that isn't going to be an easy effect to recreate in photoshop. It is do able but it won't be easy. I would just suggest do what you need in sai and then save as a psd and finish in photoshop.
I thought about doing that, but I hate switching from one program to another. It's just inconvenient and makes me feel somewhat unorganized. I thought about using SAI for the colouring and PS for the effects, but I'm just worried that the effects won't work as intended and I would have to go back to SAI to fix up the mistake or something. I don't know, I'm just rambling now. It makes me feel uneasy, is all.

But I guess I would have to do just that. Thanks for the reply :)
Well in all honesty it won't be unorganized if you can manage it right. Here is an example of how I do it.
Save the file as a sai file and call it something like AwesomeArtSaiFinal.sai
Then save as AwesomeArt.psd
This way you will have the final sai work project so you can always save new psd's. So you can destroy your artwork and sleep easy at night. Some people even take an extra step and save each time with a new file. This way they will always have their older versions. If you chose to do that I would suggest using a numerical organizational system.

Example: 00_AwesomeArt.psd 01_AwesomeArt.psd

That everything will be nice and organized. The underscore isn't vitally important, just more of consistency thing.
I'm a clean freak, so I do these things out of my need for organisation. But I never thought about a numerical organization system. Actually, when I think about it, it would help tremendously :)

Thankyou for your reply. I will keep those tings in mind for the future :)
Yeah no problem. Just to make things clear the leading zero is very important. otherwise it would look like this 1,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,2,20,21
:iconarkazain:
arkazain Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I haven't tried this myself, but would the "stroke"-layer style work?
Actually, I just found out:

Wet edges effect on: Build up, but has the texture I want.
Wet edges effect off: No build up, but I have to manually select the fringe colour, which can be a bit bothersome.

*sigh* Maybe I should just revert back to SAI, since it has smoother strokes anyhow...
It did help the build-up problem, but now I have to manually choose the colour of the edges, and it has a different look to it than the "wet edges" effect.

Let me play around with it a bit more. Maybe I'm missing something here...
Add a Comment: