December 20, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 26

Tablet question

:iconglortor:
GLoRToR Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012   General Artist
Hey,

I'm a penciller / inker for the most part and I love paper. However, it's time I learned how to use digital art and I'm looking to get myself a quality product.
I'm trying to do stuff like digital coloring of my inked comic strips, digital painting, and anything else I can do art-wise. So, I need a versatile tablet.
I'm from central Europe and I was sad to note that the Bamboo Create model I liked so much on the official site is not available in my region. These are the tablets available in my region: [link]
I'm trying to figure out which tablet is the best deal, and which one will work best for me.
Does size matter?
What should I look for?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnoskillzyo:
Noskillzyo Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
I have a wacom splash, its small and i have a 16" monitor, i have no issues when it comes to transferring, my issue is that i suck at drawing but the small tablets are really no problem if your just starting to use them
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Professional General Artist
Don't buy a small if you have anything about about a 10 inch screen. You'll find it hard to transfer any of your traditional ability. I use a Medium and it's great but I have used a Small sometimes and it's much more difficult to use.

Look into the brand Monoprice, people have said good things about them, and any of the bamboo range will be ok. Tbh any brand will work so long as it has pressure sensitivity so don't splurge out on a top notch Intuos if you don't even know you'll like it yet.
Yeah it's information that I do not have. I'm not going to invest into something until I understand what it is I'm buying.
I get that the tablet has a surface with dots on it and the computer reads the touch of the pen on that, but that's all I know.

I didn't even know you had to buy a new pen every once in a while until just now.
Well I've had my intuos nearly 6 years and I'm still on pen 1.

If you don't break it it'll still work. Some people break theres.. I also know people who still use the Wacom Graphire brand they bought well before the Bamboo existed (over 6 years old)

So if you get a bamboo or a cheaper tablet it won't inhibit you either in longevity if you take care of it.
What are the differences between various tablets? Bamboo, intuos, various products of bamboo?
the Intuos is the top of the range, it has a higher ammount of pressure sensitivity, ie it's more natural. However the Bamboo also has pressure sensitivity but less levels. Though I believe my old Intuos 3 has the same ammount of levels of a Bamboo has at the moment. So long as it can detect pressue (which both Bamboo and Intuos can) then that's all you need.

The Intuos also has a series of 8 programmable buttons so you can make things like ctrl+z one button click on your tablet.

As for the Bamboos types it is a way for them to make the technology available to anyone for cheap and have a range of extras which bump up the price depending on what you want.

The Bamboo Pen is just a drawing area and a tablet pen. It has no buttons or added extras.

The Pen and Touch also works (I believe) like a laptop trackpad, so you can navigate on the surface just like a laptop or with your fingers. It also has 4 express keys to customize to what you want them to do on your computer.

The Fun Pen and a Touch offers 2 sizes, as well as comes with some graphics progammes listed on the .eu wacom site.

And the Manga seems to be the Pen and Touch with Manga Studio software bundled in.

So it just depends what you want with your tablet. Just the tablet? Need some software? Need some buttons? etc.

as a first tablet I don't recommend going straight to intuos it's expensive and unnecessary at first. Bamboos are great, I know even professionals who use them.
What does the sensitivity difference entail between intuos and bamboo in effect? Can you give a clear example?
Depending on how you set your program up depends on what this does.

One of the things you can do is set it up so if you press lightly you'll get a small mark, and if you press hard you'll get a big mark.

The difference between the two levels of sensitivity will not change this. You will still get small marks and big marks if this is how you set it up. Just the more sensitive the hardware (ie the Intuos) the more precice control you get. But it's really not noticeable in the art and really something advanced users notice and make use of.

The Current Bamboos have 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. This is the same as I have in my Intuos 3 and it hasn't done me any harm. I'm sure I'd notice a difference if I bought a new Intuos now, but considering when I bought the Intuos 1024 levels was top notch and now it's their basic, technology changes pretty fast.
Nevermind, my isp is being a d*ck.
I'm one to do delicate pencils / pens on paper all the time, using 2H, HB, B, 2B, 4B and 6B pencils as well as 0.1 to 0.9 markers when I work. All that on an A3.
Do you think bamboo will be enough to return that detail?

Oops. Did I hit reply? Heh.
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: