December 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

help with my artwork

:iconleueffdemueff:
leUEFFdeMUEFF Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Hi there,

I just finished the lineart for a new artwort I wanna do for some guys who just finished another amateur audiobook. But I have to color with mouse and am getting really frustrated...
So I thought maybe one of you guys can give me some advice how to spice this one up a bit.

[link]

thx in advance...and excuse my mediocre english skills :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

leUEFFdeMUEFF Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
well thanks again, I just finished it and I think it is ok. Could be better, but the mouse coloring is really getting on my nerves and I have so much other stuff to do. :)
Perhaps you have some advice which I could consider when I color the next pic.

[link]
:iconcharlottexxi:
CharlotteXXI Dec 14, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I like the new one. Colors look more harmonious and the guy really stands out now.

For your future pics, I recommend sketching the image in black and white first. It's easier to see what stands out and what doesn't when it's all in black white.
leUEFFdeMUEFF Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Thanks. So you mean like when I finished the lineart to quickly color it in bw to see where I should add lightings etc? And then take this into consideration when I do the final colors? Did I got that right? :D
I saw artists who create small thumbs of their pic and then do some rough color schemes to get an inspiration which palette they should use etc. I always was too lazy to try that, because (sry bout the whining) mouse coloring gets pretty boring at a certain point.
I should definetly try something like that though.
CharlotteXXI Dec 15, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Yeah, save the file as a backup and just color in black and white quickly.
thanks, yeah its not finished and I would have added glow on the book etc...and perhaps the environment. I will give it a try after work. Highlights is also a good idea...but I sometimes have really big troubles where to put them and with which intensity. Is the pic not to dark? Can you see every line etc? My old screen broke when I moved to my new flat and the new one is not properly calibrated. Have to find a tool which helps me with that problem. :D

@jatomlinson: you can send me a link, I would almost do anything for a tablet at this time. If you don't mind shipping it over to germany. :D
CharlotteXXI Dec 14, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I do believe that Wacom (pretty much the best tablet brand out there) has stores in all over Europe, including Germany.

But in case they don't, I did a quick search on German Amazon, and they have tablets too.
[link]

"Highlights is also a good idea...but I sometimes have really big troubles where to put them and with which intensity. Is the pic not to dark? Can you see every line etc?"

Unfortunately my monitor also have a bad habit of increasing brightness and decreasing saturation of everything. However if you desaturate (put the picture in black and white), you'll see that the main subject (the guy with the skull) does not really stand out from the background. So the solution to that would be darken the background and putting more extreme contrasts on the subject.
there are plenty of shops who sell wacom tablets over here...problem is, im broke. :D
yeah just finished work and I will try to work something out. darken the picture more is too much i guess. so I guess I will try to add more glow or something. perhaps my screen is too dark though, gotta check it on a friends pc...
:iconjatomlinson:
You don't have a drawing tablet? You did really good for coloring with a mouse. I'm giving away two drawing tablets. There's still 2 days left to enter. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you a link.
CharlotteXXI Dec 13, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Add some highlights and further darken the shadows. It also seems a bit off that his head, torso and gloves are lit by the green skulls, yet the book, scrolls, cape, rock, etc. aren't. Might also want to add some rim lighting due to the skull's greenish trail.

I like the concept and it's a very smart approach using a mouse.
Add a Comment: