Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

What´s the best canvas size for drawing?

:iconpinkpainted-devil:
pinkpainted-devil Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Im wondering, which one you considerate the best one when you want a good resolution :),obviously depending the style people use different sizes
but for example , what do you use for realistic paintings?
what size for anime drawings?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Student General Artist
Generally, the bigger canvas size for any painting, the better the detail.

Think about it this way, which is easier to draw details. A printing paper with a tiny brush or a big artist canvas. If you put too much details on a print size paper, you can get a busy face if your not careful.
:iconnaariel:
Naariel Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My standard standing canvas is 1000x1300px.
My standard flat canvas is 50x35cm
:iconpemamendez:
PemaMendez Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
mmm I don't actually know if there is a "best size", since most (if not all) artist have their own preferences.

personally, I use small canvases for doodling and sketching, around 1200x1000 with 100 pixels per inch, and when I want to start painting and detailing and increase the size to anout 7000x6500 with 300pixels per inch :D

but that's just me, I say, experiment, try messing around with the sizes until you find a format you like :)
:iconfieldweeble:
Fieldweeble Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012   Digital Artist
Work at the highest resolution you can without your computer chugging. You don't want to be limited by the amount of pixels you can push around. When you're done, if you need to downsize it to fit whatever you made it for, do it then. It'll look better than if you had started off cramped.
:iconchocolateshadow:
ChocolateShadow Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Same size as your screen, then crop to whatever size you ended up using. Just let your instincts guide you on which size is adequate for the piece you're making.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
There isn't one.

You need to use 150-300ppi resolution.

Aside from that- whatever you want. It really doesn't matter. It depends totally on you.
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Set your intended print dimensions (the size it would be if you were to print it out physically) and then set your dpi to 300 at least. Better yet 600 dpi.

Remember you can work at a high resolution and always scale it down for what you need. Not so much the other way around.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
...Whatever size I'm going to want to print it at. Or 2 or 3 times the size I'm going to display it at.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional General Artist
I work at the size I might want to print it out, and 300dpi. So at least A4 in size if not bigger. I'm working A3 atm.
:iconhitokage-san:
hitokage-san Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
i work with 300 dpi n3n
the canvas size depend than draw n3n
Add a Comment: