December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 27

What makes digital art really digital?

:iconblubjee:
Blubjee Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hello,

For a school project about digital art, I was wondering.. What makes digital art really digital? It is mostly traditional media 'converted' to a digital form. 3D modeling can be compared to sculpting, drawing on a tablet is a lot like drawing.. And so on. You use traditional techniques on a digital platform.

But what makes digital art really digital, since it contains a lot of traditional influences?

I'm curious what you guys think about this ^^

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's just a tool or a medium. Painting with oils and painting with acrylics is still painting; just like drawing with a tablet is still drawing. Digital art is just regular art done in a digital medium.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
It is meant to exist on a digital plane or created digitally. But there's a lot of blurry spots as I'm sure you know, things that were digitally enhanced or finished or digital models printed out in plastic with a 3D printer.
:icondanimationarts:
DanimationArts Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I believe digital art needs to be taken as a medium, a tool, rather than a genre ^^
:iconkeoni29:
keoni29 Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
True digital art to me is an artform which cannot exist without computer technology. Vector art can be done manually, sculpting: same thing. Computer generated images (fractals) such as this one is true digital art.
[link]
No human can reproduce this amount of detail manually (and not be bored in the process...)
:iconpure-in-heart:
pure-in-heart Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Filmographer
For one it consists of pixels as opposed to clay or oil paints, etc... And until you print it, you don't actually have a physical copy of your artwork, it only exists in virtual world, I mean computer screen, excuse me :D
:iconthecheshirepanda:
TheCheshirePanda Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Digital art is any art created through the digital platform.
:iconfiorina-artworks:
Fiorina-Artworks Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is "clean". Digital art generally looks cleaner than traditional. You can achieve the clean look with every medium of course, and you can make a 100% digital picture really messy. But to make a traditional painting look clean, you still have to get your hands dirty, and making a messy digital picture requires no dirty hands at all. So this is my association. It's more because of the method, less because of the result.
:iconhelloabakkus:
helloabakkus Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Digital art is art done digitally, of course. It doesn't matter if you're painting with a program that imitates a traditional look, because just looking traditional doesn't make it such.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You use your digits to make it.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's made with the help of a computer =P
Add a Comment: