December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 27

What makes digital art really digital?

:iconblubjee:
Blubjee Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hello,

For a school project about digital art, I was wondering.. What makes digital art really digital? It is mostly traditional media 'converted' to a digital form. 3D modeling can be compared to sculpting, drawing on a tablet is a lot like drawing.. And so on. You use traditional techniques on a digital platform.

But what makes digital art really digital, since it contains a lot of traditional influences?

I'm curious what you guys think about this ^^

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's just a tool or a medium. Painting with oils and painting with acrylics is still painting; just like drawing with a tablet is still drawing. Digital art is just regular art done in a digital medium.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
It is meant to exist on a digital plane or created digitally. But there's a lot of blurry spots as I'm sure you know, things that were digitally enhanced or finished or digital models printed out in plastic with a 3D printer.
:icondanimationarts:
DanimationArts Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I believe digital art needs to be taken as a medium, a tool, rather than a genre ^^
:iconkeoni29:
keoni29 Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
True digital art to me is an artform which cannot exist without computer technology. Vector art can be done manually, sculpting: same thing. Computer generated images (fractals) such as this one is true digital art.
[link]
No human can reproduce this amount of detail manually (and not be bored in the process...)
:iconpure-in-heart:
pure-in-heart Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Filmographer
For one it consists of pixels as opposed to clay or oil paints, etc... And until you print it, you don't actually have a physical copy of your artwork, it only exists in virtual world, I mean computer screen, excuse me :D
:iconthecheshirepanda:
TheCheshirePanda Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Digital art is any art created through the digital platform.
:iconfiorina-artworks:
Fiorina-Artworks Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is "clean". Digital art generally looks cleaner than traditional. You can achieve the clean look with every medium of course, and you can make a 100% digital picture really messy. But to make a traditional painting look clean, you still have to get your hands dirty, and making a messy digital picture requires no dirty hands at all. So this is my association. It's more because of the method, less because of the result.
:iconhelloabakkus:
helloabakkus Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Digital art is art done digitally, of course. It doesn't matter if you're painting with a program that imitates a traditional look, because just looking traditional doesn't make it such.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You use your digits to make it.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's made with the help of a computer =P
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student General Artist
But what makes digital art really digital, since it contains a lot of traditional influences?

If you just think about it, every digital art you have will take traditional influences, because those foundations before digital was ever made, still stands since years before the renesaince.

Its like sayin music has gone digital, but still traditionally, Damon Alburn listens to traditional influences around the world for his plastic beach album.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I don't understand all of the half-baked philosophizing in this thread...this is the literal answer:

[link]

"A digital system[1] is a data technology that uses discrete (discontinuous) values. By contrast, non-digital (or analog) systems represent information using a continuous function. Although digital representations are discrete, the information represented can be either discrete, such as numbers and letters or continuous, such as sounds, images, and other measurements."

that's it. it has nothing to do with what painting techniques you use, or whatever other nonsense...it's literally just a classification of how information is stored...which clearly has profound implications, as digital and analog art both contain very different possibilities.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional General Artist
What makes an Acrylic Painting really Acrylic?

The fact that it's made of Acrylic Paint.

Digital Art is the same. It's just a media used to express your ideas or used to make your idea happen. Things like book publishing and graphic design are almost exclusively end product digital, and are printed on digital printers. Without digital art the old techniques are time consuming and less versatile (but can still be used if one wants to).
:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Judging by what people who hate it say, there's the whole "lacks a soul" part. Evidently work done in atoms acquires a measure of the artist's soul during the process, or something.

That and undo. Undo is the best damn thing in the world to happen to the artistic process since the invention of perspective.

But mostly? "art done largely on a computer".
:iconm-j-gagne:
M-J-Gagne Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have also wondered this. If you draw something on paper, ink and then scan it but add colour and digital effects to it, is it traditional art or digital art or something else? I do this kind of art sometimes but I am not sure how to classify it.
I call it Digital Mixed Media. Or Analogue Digital Mixed Media. On dA I tend to post under digital art Mixed Media.
Thanks. That does make sense.
I love doing it cos there are things Analogue can do Digital can't and vice versa, so I merge the best of the two :D
That's true. I also do it because I don't have a pen tablet so drawing purely in digital would involve using a mouse.
I have a pen tablet and I still do a lot of my intial drawing by hand. It's quicker and then it's in a book so I can flip around a lot and keep my ideas where I see them. They're hidden in a computer file.

I make a lot of textures by smearing paint and all kinds of fun things, scaning them and using them in layers over my work. It's such a fantastic way to get unique textures.
Well it seems to work. Nice gallery!:)
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Any kind of art made with a digital device (computer, mobile phone, etc.) is digital art. There is nothing else that defines something as digital or not. Technique or history have nothing to do with it.
:icontomvanrheenen:
tomvanrheenen Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Yes you use traditional techniques on a digital platform. But much more then that too. Using coloroverlays, ctrl+z, gradiant maps, blurs etc. It all works really different.
It's like a bike and a car. They both are used for the same thing (transportation), have similar aspects (wheels etc.), but are very distinct. The same goes for art I guess. They are both used for the same things (producing something beautiful, useful, emotional), have similar aspects (composition, color, value etc), but use very different methods to go there.
Something else that I find really different is the end product. Digital Art will (almost) always remain flat, while traditional paintings have structure. But then again, you can make digital media move and do other things.
:iconmercury-crowe:
Mercury-Crowe Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Digital art is: art that is made primarily on a computer.

That's it.

It's not some special technique of art. You don't lump it in with 'drawing' or something.

It is digital (insert type here- painting, sculpting, drawing, etc).
:iconmidnightmagnificent:
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I would say that it is the TOOLS you use. If you drew/painted something in the computer with a mouse/a tablet/an iPad, it is Digital Art. Techniques are things that you learn and apply. It is the medium of presentation that classifies it as Digital Art.

In a way, photomanipulation could just be digital artistic scrapbooking.

I dunno. Just rambling thoughts.
:iconmchectr:
mchectr Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Dunno about my answer but: Digital art is art created through Digital Media. Compared to traditional since traditional uses real life tools like paintbrushes although in digital, they emulate the tools in a digital platform.
Add a Comment: