Closed to new replies
December 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Gaming Desktops and Adobe programs?

:iconemeyex:
EmeyeX Dec 11, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I am planning on making a big jump from a dual core dell desktop to a 8 core gaming desktop. Although I want to start getting into computer games, I am going to primarily be using it for my adobe CS5 work. I don't see how there would be any problems working with a more powerful desktop, but I am doing my research just in case. Would there be any possible problem with using a gaming desktop to work with my adobe programs? (after effects, flash and stuff.)

this is what I have my sights set on ----> [link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconanarumi:
anarumi Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Seriously? 8 core having problems running adobe programs? Thats funny.
:icontera-rose:
Tera-Rose Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
If its powerful enough to run a game like say skyrim then it's powerful enough for CS5.
My laptop can run CS5 adobe flash with no lag and I have a 4gb ram alongside a 2.5ghz processor. So it should run!
:iconlemon1986:
lemon1986 Dec 12, 2012
build your own! it's about %50 less when you BUILD it and I'm not exaggerating!
:iconfoxfurneo:
FoxfurNeo Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
They it should be fine, but an Intel i7 is great for graphic art type stuff, especially 3D. I would recommend building your own desktop instead of buying one, for that same price or cheaper you can build one just as good but with an intel processor. I am an AMD fan but then haven't been doing well in singlethreading. Otherwise I would get that 4.2Ghz processor that they have out, but right now I'd go with intel i7 Ivy Bridge.
I also would recommend getting windows 7 on it rather than 8. Windows 8 is like Vista all over again in some aspects, unless you're running it on a tablet, it is made for tablets. So windows 7 would be better for a desktop, as well as cheaper now that 8 is out. Unless you're absolutely set on 8 c:
Good luck! I speak from experience building a few personalized desktops, it's great! Tiger Direct and Newegg all the way (Newegg often has free or very cheap shipping as well!)
:iconcnids:
Cnids Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I use a gaming laptop with decent spects and it runs all Adobe products wonderfully. The hard drive is a bit slower speed so saving and loading can be a bit pokey, but it's really not too bad considering I've been working with some disgustingly large files. The specs on yours look better than my lappy, so you're not going to have any problems.
:icondarue:
darue Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You shouldn't have any problems with that.

Photoshop CS5's speed will be primarily determined by:

Processor - Filter application and various calculations involved with brushes, resizing, and whatnot
RAM - The more RAM you have, the larger files you will have access to before experiencing slowdowns
HDD - Initial loading and access to scratch files is determined by the speed of your HDD
Graphics card - Only for GPU optimizations and enhancements - a good graphics card is by no means necessary but will generally help

If you're asking if you'll be able to run Photoshop fine on that machine, then the answer is yes.
If you want to use Photoshop primarily, but also have capability for gaming, I'd invest in an additional SSD for your boot drive, but as general advice I tend to always recommend an SSD boot drive.

Or you could wait for the people who will inevitably comment on how you could build your own PC instead of buying pre-built. ;)
Add a Comment: