Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 45

Could I get some help on my character design? I would appreciate it and happy to return the favour.

:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
So I'm currently working on a piece, but I've been struggling with the damn shoes, they look MUCH flatter than everything else and also, not very interesting, I also don't think it feels very, 3D, and I think that has a lot to do with my understanding.

Anyway, any pointers, references I could work with or any ideas for the design ( as they look boring ) I would be much appreciative with.

Image:
[link]

Thank you, and if you do reply, link me an image if you need help and I'll be happy to return the favour.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontanathiel:
Tanathiel Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Well first off, depends on what you want to turn this into :)

I can easily see a slight hint of Victorian era clothing style with its elaborate lining and design. Or more pirate-ish. Or steampunk. Or noble. A gunslinger. A sword duelist X) Actually anything can be made out of it. Even a 19th century era civilian too.

For the feet: I think that the legs are slightly shorter (the thighs at least), this throws off the perspective, thats why you might be finding it off.
If you have a mirror about, try to stand like that a bit, so you can check what goes where. But even at a glance the back leg should not be that high. It should be more near the other feet in height. The other way around is to change the front feet.

Even a small mirror would do :) Or... ask somebody to capture a pic from you while you stand like that and you can use it as a one-on-one reference ^^
The other thing is, there are a lot of nice reference pics in the stock photoes in DA, look around there :D I usually take a look around when I need to do a bit difficult angle or something on a girl/guy :)
Also if you are not sure about the perspective, it helps a lot, to draw a few lines to the wanishing point, so you'll know whats where :D

Hope it helps =)
Good luck with the drawing ^^
Eh, you made this post 5x days ago, so you might as well finished with it x)
:iconfieldweeble:
Fieldweeble Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012   Digital Artist
Not necessarily a perspective or rendering tidbit, but the inside ankle (the end of the tibia) is higher than the outside ankle (the end of the fibula). That being reversed here might have something to do with it looking slightly awkward.
:iconalantherobot:
AlanTheRobot Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Somebody has mentioned it, but the angle of the farthest foot is off. It should be angled more towards you. I would suggest fixing it before going any further. But you're more concerned about the design...

The sole of the shoe should be thicker, especially towards the back. I notice women's shoes also almost always have a slightly higher heel than men's.

I saw the new version with the golden design. While I like the design, it looks like armor. I'm not sure if that's what you intended, but it would make it really hard to walk. If it's meant to be cloth or leather you should lessen the detailing highlights or possibly add texture to it to show it's not gold/metal.

As for things you could add to the boots to make them more interesting in terms of design: straps, buttons, buckles, zippers, designs on the leather/cloth (stitched, painted, embossed), laces, laces along the sides (actually, how does she take off the shoe? as I see none of these. Think comfort apart from visual appeal), weapons attached, etc.

My best advice would be to google some pictures of boots.

Btw... you look good at doing/shading faces. I've been having some problems doing lighting/features from scratch. I don't have an image up but if you could look at the recent forum post I made, if you have any advice, I would be grateful. If you don't that's fine. [link]
:iconlou2209:
lou2209 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Since your boots look awesome now I was thinking maybe extra character and details with other parts of the clothing. Like on the belt maybe.
I have no idea what to suggest thought cause I don't know anything about her except that she seems to like swords XD

Maybe if she's a noble or more well off some embroidery or lace in the shirt? Or if she's adventurous and on the road maybe she carries various things in a bag, or on her belt? Or maybe her shirt would be ripped or patched up a little in places.
Hmm or maybe you could add layers? Layers usually make designs more appealing, and can make them more practical too if it suits the climate.

Although I have no idea if that was helpful at all I was just rambling while staring at your wip XD
This blog may help a little [link]
:iconnickworcester:
nickworcester Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
in my opinion, art can always be improved by adding detail. maybe you can add some flyleaves or embroidery in the leather?
:iconmatahoata:
matahoata Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
those shoes look great :) btw i think you should try to enhance the colors (color gradience for each light and shade)... look at the buttons you made for the shoes it appears very 3d because u've used proper gradients to the colors and the light and shade is perfect...darken the brown for places that should me darker then lighten for places that should be lighter... also i think putting a more noticeable sole to the shoe facing front can help ,as it can add up to the depth... or match the pointedness of the left shoe to the right shoe that would do the trick.... other than that the design was cool :) hope you finish the design soon :)
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I've redone the design, care to give me some feedback?
[link]
:iconkitsune-okayasu:
Kitsune-Okayasu Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The new design looks great. I think you need to make the shine on the toe of the boot stand out a little more. The designs going up the leg have a nice metallic feel to them, but when it gets to the toe it loses it. Maybe play around and try to give the boot itself a more leather appearance (It is leather right? If not disregard what I said). Right now it gives off a more hard rubber look, maybe add a few subtle creases near the ankle to show they've been worn. Unless the character just got them, but judging by the characters look I would say she would have gotten them hand made, rather than in some factory. So maybe show a few imperfections to give off that hand made feel.

Just a few thoughts :)
:iconsangrde:
Sangrde Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
oH i Love the redesign! Maybe add overlay effect in red and orange on the filigree so it gives more like copper and gritty & old fashioned look rather than gold? .. you could also add some unique looking spurs at the heels.. not like cowboy boots but it'd be nice if you can put some your original concept in that design, i'm not sure what kind of fantasy/concept it is, so yeah ; u ;
And you could also add some skin colors under the shirt so it's kinda like see-through sheepon type fabric, if you want to xD

Oh and it'd be nice if you could help me with my concept too.. the director wants me to change his expression to more 'angry, aggressive looking as possible' [link]
he's supposed to be beasty, warrior-like character. I kinda changed the eyes and mouth [link] [link]
but I want more aggressive, crazy face but I don't wanna redraw the whole face. i need to get this done by friday ;;; u ;;; ... any suggestion would help c: !
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Well, the design looks great, but the face is definitely weak, the biggest issue is the top of the nose, its very, obvious, hm.. this one is tough! I know what the problem is, how to fix it, I don't know. I would make the chin a little wider, to make it a little more 3d ( though try this on a new layer, to see how it goes, I also think his eye is quite wide. Basically, you need to make it 3D.

Here I painted over and made some structure, basically, if his mouth was open it would be a little longer, also, his head line is too small, the lines that I've drawn is his skull, his hear would be a little bigger than that.

I think that may help, perhaps:
[link]
Add a Comment: