December 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 26

Monthly Digital Art Critique Thread: [ December ]

:iconmamiffer:
mamiffer Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
:bulletpurple:Monthly Critique Thread for the month of December 2012

:bulletred: This thread is for critique requests for DIGITAL ART deviations only.
:bulletred: If you would like critique, please post a comment with a direct link or thumb to your deviation. :bulletred:

:bulletwhite: Please see the Literature and Photography forums if you want critique on those subjects.

:bulletyellow: Not getting any feedback? Remember to give some and you will most likely get some in return.

Devious Comments

mamiffer Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
:lock: New thread for January: [link]
:iconohmachidai:
Ohmachidai Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I was told to come here for critiques on digital art, but December is over o.O ...
mamiffer Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
The new thread is here: [link] :)
:iconceleste-reyes:
Celeste-Reyes Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Hello there Deviant users, my name is IMaidensWing (Celeste) and I am a 13 year old artist.blogger and writer. After being banned for over a year because I was a minor at the time, I'm finally back to share my artwork on this amazing website. While searching the digital art part of the forums I felt like sharing my artwork could help me get out there somehow. I am a big fan of drawings chibis and making pixels, drawing in the anime style is quite a challenge for me. All comments are appreciated because a young artist like me needs some advice and hopefully I'll get to meet many Deviants during my time here on Deviantart.

I use Paint Tool Sai to draw and color my art while Gimp is for my pixels. I've been a tablet use (Vistablet Pen Pad)r for over a year now and I'm very happy to share my artwork here.
:iconlovely-words:
Lovely-Words Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconlupusspirit:
LupusSpirit Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hey guys, I just finished a piece that I spent a LOT of time on and feel its my frist actual successful digital painting. I requested crits, but I'm hardly getting views and have not gotten a single line of feedback. Please, your advice/crits would be wonderful :)

Flaming Doom Dog
:iconartzykat:
Artzykat Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist

A little seasonal something to share...:)
:iconanwaarsaleh:
anwaarsaleh Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist

I have more artwork but this is the latest one I did.
:iconhiba-jamal:
HiBa-JaMal Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
here... i would like to know what you guys think :)

[link]
:iconnaariel:
Naariel Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist

hope it's okay with two thumbs
:iconyettyen:
Yettyen Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Please and thank you o//o
His head/face looks strange, but I can't figure it out :hmm:
:iconfiamma1221:
Fiamma1221 Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been looking at this thing for a week now, and I still cant figure out whats wrong with it D:
:iconmlaproduction:
MLAproduction Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist

anyway here a pixel illustration . I would like some serious critique on this and will return comments in kind.
:iconspork-wolf:
Spork-Wolf Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
[link] pwease? :iconbeggingplz:
:iconanj3lla:
Anj3lla Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   General Artist
Please and Thank You!!! :iconasnowmanplz:

:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
:happycry:
:iconravenssouldesigns:
RavensSoulDesigns Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
:iconleviathandy:
LeviathanDy Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This is cool
thank you :D
[link]
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Book covers go in Designs and Interfaces > Editorial Design.
:whisper:
LeviathanDy Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
ooh OK, will I get critique when I move them
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
Oh, it's not about that. I am just pointing out where works like that are supposed to go, it has nothing to do with getting a critique. Anyone can leave a critique here or in the deviation. :)
I will see if I can come up with one.
LeviathanDy Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
ooh ok thank you, I moved them anyway :D
:iconsylor41:
sylor41 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hello, thank you for this opportunity :) here
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Hello,
I saw this being shared on the Digital Art Forum's Critique thread, so I will critique here as well as put one there. :)

Firstly, the composition in the image works well. It's gives off the bird's eye back view of a hero/villain on their perch looking over the city and good job having the person on the centre. The yellow/red tone gives it a scorched afternoon feeling or a pre apocalyptic look to the image, which suits it well. While the blur on the midground and the background is a bit overdone, but it's a good addition as it gives it a sense of environment and focus to the image. And mask the blurring so that the foreground has a crispness to it so it doesn't look blurred (the amount it is) and sort of overpower the blurred environment effect that you achieved well.

However, the things that would have to be improved upon is careful use of filters, lighting and blending. There is too much filter processing in the city image and on the character making them look unpleasant and kind of fake/cheap (if you know what I mean) and the lighting therefore goes on the backseat. You can certainly use filters, but it would be better if you do it in less manner and use other features in Photoshop (assuming that's what you used) to bring about the features you want. You can use a hue saturation and colour dodge layers to bring about yellow apocalyptic look on the whole image. If you want an edge light on the the model, and since he is also being lighted from the top-right-(back), you can use layers on top of the image to paint on the highlights in the clothes and use blending modes to give a lighted effect on the edges by selecting the edges and erasing it off where the light won't shine through and the saturation reduced so that would also help in blending the model with the environment to an extent.

Texture use: The filters give off a garrish texture to the image as a whole that doesn't flow together and makes it 2 dimensional and unrealistic. You can always browse dA's Resource section to find textures (grunge ones) to add selectively with masking/blending in the parts of the building where it would be seen and the model as well.
I would suggest add some cloud shapes in the sky, but it gives off a old style photography look to the sky section as already is. So that can be done without and it looks good this way, personally. :)

Here are some resources that might be helpful!

:iconsylor41:
sylor41 Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks again for the reply :D
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
No problem! :)
Add a Comment: