Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Best way to add color to a BnW painting

:iconjovictory:
JOVictory Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Interface Designer
just recently i tried with a multiply layer and with the color replacement function, none of them gave satisfying results. anyone got better ways to add colors?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontomvanrheenen:
tomvanrheenen Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I prefer to use a combination of overlay and multiply. Overlay tends to make things very saturated and light, multiply makes things often darker. Just duplicate the colorlayer, set one to overlay and one to multiply and play around with the opacity. I also sometimes use Hard Light to get some more unexpected effects.
Whats also great fun is using Gradient Maps. Go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Gradient Map, select a gradient and play around with the type of layermode again.
Sometimes just messing around with these things get you nice color effects.
But remember to always color some on top, otherwise the spectrum of colors will be too limited and the work will seem boring.

Good luck :)
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
Do you mean you have a greyscale under painting?

Multiply is mostly for if you don't have a greyscale, only black and white. Only line art and things like that. It mostly colors only the white areas but doesn't color any black areas. So if its a grey color, it will be likely the painting color like yellow will be desaturated.

Pretty much yep, saturation is like that.

If your a traditional painter, you can also call the Greyscale an underpainting, and the next layer like saturation is like glazing or a thinned colored. But you know, just something to connect to.
:iconjcurr87:
jcurr87 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I personally feel that both styles are fantastic and both bring a great level of detail to the drawings...Thank you so much for this!!!
:iconjcurr87:
jcurr87 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I honestly feel that both styles are fantastic, it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. Thank you for both of these!!!
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional General Artist

That tutorial covers black and white to colour.

I personally prefer starting from colour at the start as I find the colour more vibrant and alive but there are awesome people out there using the black and white to colour technique too, so it's personal preference.
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Doing a black layer on top of all the colour layers in Saturation mode also works to see how the values work and whether things are blended well or not.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional General Artist
Indeed, just like flipping to see if you really screwed up somewhereXD
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
And coming to work the drawing after a day or few hours. XD
:iconwrath-of-vader:
Wrath-of-Vader Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
i ment the BW painting in multiply or linear lighting ^^
:iconjovictory:
JOVictory Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Interface Designer
yeah, it was kind of given ;)