Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Doing gradients in Photoshop with the eraser.

:iconicedragonair:
icedragonair Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Okay, so kind of a strange question for any pro digital artists out there, specifically if you do cell shading.

I watch a lot or redraws/quickdraws in Photoshop and I've noticed this effect people do. When they want to have a color gradient from, say, color A, to base color B, and the shape is irregular, they overlay base color B with color A (on a different layer?) and use the eraser to erase parts of color A so that base color B shows through from underneath. Usually with there being more erased in some spots than others, creating a gradient. Its also used for fading out patterns and softening the edges of shadows and such.
(I hope I explained that properly)

I would like to know how exactly this is done. I've fiddled around with my settings in PS and ended up using a soft brush eraser, with shape dynamics off and airbrushing, smoothing, and other dynamics on, with opacity jitter off and flow jitter on set to brush pressure and 0%.

I still cant get exactly the same effect though. Any tips, or anyone got a tut?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012   Digital Artist
It sound like you have the right idea.

Generally when I've done a reverse gradient effect I simply use the soft edge brush with opacity at 1% or 2% depending.
1% or 2% wow, that's really low. I haven't really fiddled with the opacity, but I'll try that.
Yeah I set it really low so that the change is almost invisible with each individual stroke, but as you layer on more and more it slowly builds up. I also use the brush in an almost stippling fashion to make sure it creates a gradient.
Yeah I can sorta see that. Is the pressure sensitivity on when you do it? You can probably up it quite a bit if you're careful with the pen....
I have it set only to the brushes diameter, but that's also because of how I use the brush. If I had a more flowing hand i probably could use the pressure sensitivity with the opacity and flow as well, I just don't like to.
icedragonair Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ahh I see. Size is kinda hard to manage for work like this though.
Thanks for the advice.
:icongumboassassin:
GumboAssassin Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I wonder that my self.....speaking of tabs any opinions about the bamboo create?
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
If they're doing it with the eraser and tablet then it's probably pure skill and control with the brush. No setting can fast track than more than experience.
Hmmm problem is, I know the gist of how it works I'm just not sure if I'm doing some tiny thing wrong (like a brush setting or something).
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
The erasing part sounds like the masking layer. Did they switch to the eraser or did they stay with the brush. Also did the color bar turn into a k with only black and white. Then the person is using a masking layer.

Here is a tutorial on how to use it.
[link]
Add a Comment: