Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

I'm looking for the best digital art program out there thats free. Any Ideas?

:iconhowtobeast101:
howtobeast101 Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsareth1337:
Sareth1337 Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
gimp is pretty good if you're more into editing rather then fresh drawing/painting, otherwise you should check out the 'light' version of Paint Tool SAI ( it's called "Easy Paint Tool SAI" as far as I remember <.<)
howtobeast101 Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ok, thanks for answering this forum.
howtobeast101 Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I would still recommend firealpaca, lol. To each their own it seems.
:icondevyni:
devyni Dec 9, 2012  Student Digital Artist
MyPaint is pretty good. It doesn't have a select tool, but it's got an infinite canvas, can be controlled entirely through hotkeys, a wide array of brush customizability, and some basic layer support. I find it's best for doing character design. Customizing brushes takes forever though - it's a REALLY wide array.
:iconredmarlin:
GIMP and Firealpaca are pretty impressive. SAI is pretty cheap, and that blows the competition out of the water by far.
:icongodofirony:
GodOfIrony Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Gimp. add on Gimp Paint Studio and you're dealing with a powerhouse relative to Photoshop.
howtobeast101 Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist

Here guys, this is the first digital media I made using FireAlpaca. I'd recommend using it.
:iconknozos:
knozos Dec 8, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Krita is probably the best out there [link], this is some artwork created with it [link]
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
In a way, the word best is that there isn't such a thing, because we don't know what preferences you want.

Try them out and see what you like

:iconalantherobot:
AlanTheRobot Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It used to be Paint.Net but I don't believe they support tablet pen pressure anymore.

I've really liked MyPaint and occasionally use it to work on sketches/concepts/ideas because it has an infinite canvas. Other than that I don't use any other free programs although I've tried many.

Maybe Gimp will work for you? I've never liked it, but maybe it's better these days, it is the most advanced (more tools).
Add a Comment: