Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

So.. I'm looking for a bit of help on deciding what to do here...

:iconjonnyshadow13:
JonnyShadow13 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So, I don't really post in the dA forums much, but I figure this is the best way to get some light to shine on this subject.

I've never really done digital art, but recently I've been looking into getting a tablet for either the holidays, or later on down the road when I can afford it myself.

Particularly, I'm looking at the Bamboo Splash tablet, seeing as it's pretty affordable and seems reasonably put together for a package deal.

I've used a friends Bamboo tablet for a quick demo, and although I don't believe it was the Splash, it seems to be generally the same product with a few convenient tweaks.

Anyone here use the Bamboo Splash, or can anyone give me some advice as to if it's worth getting, maybe opening a door into the digital art world?

I'd personally like to move a bit from traditional art to digital art to expand my experience and such.

Thanks in advance!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjonnyshadow13:
JonnyShadow13 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Alrighty, thanks for the input everyone! I'll definitely take everything into consideration and see what I can come up with.
I greatly appreciate the help!
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Be aware that you get what you pay for. A super cheap tablet might not be a good deal in the long run. I have an old Graphire 4, it's about 9 years old, I looked it up and it cost about $400 new, and it still works great. I had a animal chew on the cable and had to patch that, but that's all.

What you need to look for is more in the tablet itself than the way it acts, for the most part you don't need anything special to draw, just something with pressure sensitivity. Tilt is cool, but you don't absolutely need it. Same with buttons on the tablet.

Go through an official company or site that will let you return it if it doesn't work, and the best thing is to get one with a warranty.

Things to check:

- how long does it last. Some of these have a bad habit of pooping out after a few months. You don't want to have it for three months then have to get a new one.

-Can it be repaired. If it has a USB cable, can it be replaced by you, by the manufacturer, or not at all? And if they can be fixed, how much does it cost? This is important since they go bad eventually.

-How much is a stylus and how long will it last. The pens for my old tablet cost $30, and probably last about 5 years before the hardware starts to get worn out and I need a new one. In some tablets, the pen is going to cost you over $100.

-Wear and tear- how long do the stylus nibs last? They aren't necessarily expensive, but some of them have to be replaced once a month since they wear down so badly, and that gets expensive and is a pain. Some tablets really eat these up.

-Tablet surface- how easy is it to mar? Do you need, or can you get, a protective cover? If you are drawing directly on the tablet, your nib is going to make little scratches. Eventually, if it gets bad enough, these are going to interfere with your drawing since the nib will move unevenly.

:iconblack-chimaera:
Black-Chimaera Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Professional Filmographer
I'va had my Bamboo for three years, and while it's not the Splash, they are more or less the same thing. If you already tried one you know what to expect. It's very different from the feel on paper and the fact that you don't look at the ''sheet'' but at the screen. It took me a week to get used to it. :la:
:iconludvikskp:
LudvikSKP Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I use the easypen i405 tablet, the cheapest thing i could get. i haven't had any prblems and i manage drawing. the thing though in my opinion with tablets is that you get what you pay for. All bamboo's are amazing, whichever bamboo you buy, splash or not, you won't have any worries! :)
:iconkalistina:
kalistina Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Within the Bamboo line, I think the most important part is making sure you have a rubber on your stylus (I'm not sure there's one on the Splash - to be honest I've been unable to find the data on Wacom's site but I only made a very quick research). The rubber's presence is important because the gesture to use it is relatively natural (which is good if you're not good with keyboard shortcuts).

Assuming you have a rubber, any Bamboo will have roughly equivalent core features with bonus embellishments (such as multitouch for instance). They're not particularly useful in my opinion but they're still there.
Add a Comment: