Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Any Digital Painting tutorials for an intermediate artist?

:icondanielisawesome52:
DanielisAwesome52 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I've been searching, and maybe I'm just picky or not getting it

I know how to use the programs, how to draw lines, fill flat colors, do boring cel shading (nothing real advanced), working with layers, etc but I can't find any tutorials that skip the technical or basic stuff and get to the middle ground, like how to lay down shadows, how to make a certain shape or shadow, how to do complex blending, or just how to really paint on a computer.

Maybe I'm just missing the tuts but I can't personally find em.

Also, I've almost never worked with color, anything I really do is like filling in a coloring book and monotone shading, not really PAINTING.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsparatik:
SPARATIK Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Digital Artist
fzd, as someone else posted. but i highly recommend the gnomon dvd's. feng zhu's got some there, which is where i first found him. also, the conceptart.org dvd's, especially BRAD RIGNEYS. Best tutorial i've ever seen. it's like 5 hours long too. [link]
:iconmiasmic-mind:
miasmic-mind Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
you can find a link to feng zhu and some other stuff here [link]
DanielisAwesome52 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Yeah I just found this site a few hours ago, I'm liking the vids and stuff
DanielisAwesome52 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Student Digital Artist
These are great suggestions, I'm obviously gonna have to take some more time and go through more than one or two videos. These are actually way more useful than what I've been finding so thanks
:iconalantherobot:
AlanTheRobot Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Have a look at my favorite tutorials, some are more advanced : [link] also conceptart.org like someone already suggested.

I've also personally liked Sycra's tutorial on youtube. Some are anatomy, others are speedpaints (some are explained, both tools AND techniques). Feng Zhu is also great like someone already mentioned.
:iconbamboo-learning:
Bamboo-Learning Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Well that's really easy. Youtube, search for Feng Zhu, have fun.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I would suggest going over to Conceptart.org if you want to improve, they give very solid critiques. Though they're not going to be nice.
DanielisAwesome52 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I like your video, but it is more of the same things I've been seeing (not a negative for your vid though)

I think what I'm looking for is actually an in between of time lapse/speed paint and tutorial, like someone walking through in decent detail how they're painting, as they paint. Not explaining each tool or brush or technical stuff, but like how they mix multiple colors and why they put shadows their, little things that the tuts and vids I've seen tend to assume EVERYONE just knows magically
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I have a few videos on my youtubes that show my process. It isn't a detailed tutorial but it should you some ideas: [link]
Add a Comment: