Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

Anyone know why I'm not able to transfer an image I made in Adobe Illustrator to InDesign..?

:iconkatieconfusion:
KatieConfusion Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Interface Designer
I'm doing a project for design class [it's basically a brochure; I was making the cover], and I made a vector graphic in Illustrator..I then clicked "Export" & made it a 300-dpi JPEG [it has to be print-quality cause we're printing it]..then went to Illustrator, clicked "Place.." & chose the file..it pasted into InDesign, but it was super pixelated & low-quality o.o ..So I tried to copy it directly from Illustrator & just paste it into InDesign, but it gave me an error message which said "this command would create a large number of page items and would severely degrade performance. Data will be placed as embedded EPS." ..I don't even know what that means..but the image was the same horrible quality as the JPEG I imported.. Then I tried saving it as a PNG & "placing" it into InDesign..same outcome as the JPEG >.< ..gah, I don't know what's wrong..anyone have any idea..? Please helppp

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
Display options, high quality. They usually leave it on low because it makes working fasting. Just do all the placing, and then change the display for final checks.
KatieConfusion Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Yepp, that's what I did..Thanks though =P
:iconxzendor7:
xzendor7 Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012   Digital Artist
What Was The Dimensions Of The Image You Created In Illustrator.

If You Image Lets Say Was 100px by 100px, And You Imported It Into A 1000px By 1000px Layer In InDesign And InDesign Expanded It To The 1000px Limit It Will Look Pixelated.

Make Sure That Your Image Resolution And DPI Is The Same In Illustrator And InDesign So That You Get What You Want.

Also Make Sure That The Jpeg(jpg) Settings Are Set For Maximum Quality Or Save It As A BMP Or PNG For The Highest Possible Image Quality.
Yeah, I chose max quality on there...but it's all good, I got it figured out..I just didn't know about the display options and how it lowers the quality in order for it to load faster
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
The basic answer to your questions is that any raster images in indesign may look pixelated due to your display settings within indesign. They set it up this way because with indesign you might be setting up a 1000 page book, and it would be really taxing on your system resources if all the pictures loaded a full res (plus it would take forever to scroll through pages). You can turn the display settings up and down depending on how closely you want to review it within ID, but if it goes in at 300dpi, and you export with images set to 300dpi, you will get the original quality image.

I second the statements about saving as an EPS and placing that in your document. You could also get away with placing an AI file. I've done that before, packaged up the InDesign file and sent to the print house and never had any complaints from them.

If you want to get really hardcore (or lazy... you decide!), you could just ctrl-c copy your vector image in Illustrator and ctrl-v paste it into InDesign. It will show up as a vector element within InDesign and no linked files to worry about.
KatieConfusion Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Thanks for the info ^.^
& lol that's actually what I ended up doing..just copy & pasted it xD
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
Don't copy and paste it if you're using a large document which will be edited later. The beauty of placing is that if you change the file later, the file will automatically change in the linked file and you don't have to copy and paste it again.
Yeah, that's pretty cool xD ..I will definitely need to make use of that function some other time..just that it wasn't really necessary there, so copy/paste was fine =P
KatieConfusion Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Interface Designer
...Guess I can't remove this forum..but it's all good now guys, I've figured it out :]
Thanks for the help thoughh ^.^
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Save it as an .eps file and then Place that in Indesign.
Add a Comment: