December 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

Getting More Exposure

:iconbagam:
Bagam Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Right so to start off I've been trying to increase my audiance throught DA
by posting my stuff on multiple group galleries and participating in contests.
But I still don't feel like i'm getting enough views, or feedback for that matter.

I'm pretty sure that it's not because my art sucks.
Most people I know tell me I should go and get a degree to start working professionaly in this industry. Although I'd like to, For reasons unavoidable, that is not going to happen untill a year from now.

But I still think I should increase my audiance to get a sort of a kickstart or somthing.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconharkins:
harkins Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
You have to realize that there are like 5 deviations uploaded every second. I noticed if I submit something, by the time I click back to the main page it's already halfway down lol. It's so saturated that the only people really getting tons of views and favorites are people who have a name for themselves already or are of extreme talent. That's just the way it works on massive sites like these, look at Youtube. Established channels get most of the views but theres always the occasional viral upload. Sometimes a piece of art I upload gets more favorites than I expect, just like how I assume the people behind Epic Meal Time didn't expect for that to blow up.

It's important to not let this stuff discourage you, DA is a huge stage. I personally have come to accept that I'm a mediocre artist. Sure everyone I know personally says I'm the best artist they know, but that's in a circle of maybe 20-40 people. Here your work is along side thousands of other artists. It's not that all the work that gets uploaded is bad, it's that there are some that is just so damn good. I feel like I said this in 3 other threads but you can either let that motivate you to be as good as those elite few or discourage you and make you give up.

Incoming shameless self plug of new work:

chyea chyea
Bagam Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Give up? Never. I didn't spend the last 3 years getting to my current level, as much as it needs improvement, to just give up.

Giving up on art would mean that i'd have to get some stupid job for a living, like a sales manager or a lawyer... This is called true mediocrity.

I will improve my stuff. And i will make this my job eventually. 

Because i'm sure those few elites also did it because it's what they love and they too knew the utter suckagness of the alternative.
:iconharkins:
harkins Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hell yea man!
:iconmallettepagano1:
MallettePagano1 Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
What I've done is join a lot of groups to post art in, be more active on the forum, comment a lot on artwork here, and join getwatchers.com. On getwatchers, you have to comment on other people's artwork to get more watchers/comments/views on your own art. Or if you have the money, you can pay for 4,000+ page views on your DA page or artwork that you link to with getwatchers.

I also seem to receive more pageviews/comments/watches when I post fan art of a certain show or cartoon/anime.
:iconsjwebster:
SJWebster Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Those kind of sites always make me suspicious, just like the ones for YouTube subscribers and views.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
#GetWatchers is run by deviants, for deviants ;)
:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Digital Artist
"I'm pretty sure that it's not because my art sucks.
Most people I know tell me I should go and get a degree to start working professionaly in this industry. Although I'd like to, For reasons unavoidable, that is not going to happen untill a year from now."

That's a rather high ego you've got. In all honesty, your art doesn't "suck" (as in, child-like scribbles), but it is currently just another in the vast sea of mediocrity.

For example,

- The composition is okay. There are however a bunch of awkward tangents (What are tangents? [link])
- Lighting is dull. Looking at the picture, there seems to be a bunch of neutral light source from many different directions, none of them being the dominant one. However, you have a orange-ish sky behind the armored dude. If you utilized this and made it a dominant light source, you would have some very epic lighting. You also didn't take advantage of the blue crystals. With some blue reflecting light from the crystals, there would be a very nice contrast between that and the orange light. *I saw some of your later artworks. Pretty much all of them suffers from this. The darks should be much darker than the grey you're using now.
- The way you colored the weapons and armor didn't really suggest what they're made of. Right now, to me, everything looks like it's made of wood, even the knight's gold thingy, sword, shield, and the orc's axes.
- Color is off balance. Perhaps this is intentional, perhaps it is not. If you want to suggest a heated battle between the knight and the orc, then you should choose a color other than grey for the paladin. Right now he is blended into the background, while the uniquely green orc stands out too much.

tl;dr: There's still an apparent lack of basic knowledge in your works.

And finally, I do not mean to offend or demean you. It's just a critique.
Ugh... I really should get rid of that.
This thing is very old. It's one of the first things I did when I got my tabet.
How about you judge me by my current level?
:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I did actually take a look at your later art while writing that.
These are from June 17 and August 2 respectively, so they're pretty new I believe?

The biggest problems with those are still lighting and composition. In those 2 pictures, there is only a single visible light source (2 in the first one), however everything is so light as if the entire room/dungeon is illuminated. Also, for the Sneak Attack artwork, the lighting is in the wrong color (fire gives off an orange light). I suggest you stand in a room during a sunny day, with a single window and lights off, and observe how high the light/dark contrast is.

One common compositional annoyance I saw in those 2 pictures is the big dividing vertical line. For the second picture, the position of the heater-thing against that vertical wooden line makes a huge tangent. It feels as though the heater is a flat sticker just slapped onto the wall. The vertical line in the first picture makes the viewer feel like they're reading a comic with panels. It feels weird and uncomfortable.
Those are still only two of my works, and i'll admit i didn't plan the composition in them. Instead i just drew the figures and then added the background which is a bad thing i learned.

I believe that my quality, although still requiring refinement, is good and therefor not the main problem. I know this because amongst the few people that do get to see me, there were some who wanted to commission me.

I just need to find a way to increase my audience. I do think i found it though. 
Add a Comment: