Closed to new replies
December 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Best program for making Pixel Art?

:iconsizzlefizzle:
Sizzlefizzle Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
I've recently had been interested in Pixel art, and wanted to know what program is the best for this type of art. I've tried making pixels over MS Paint, but wanted to know if there's some kind of better program to use for Pixel Art.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnalenthi:
Nalenthi Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I would recommend Paint.net
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional General Artist
If your graphics program has a hard pencil tool, ie you can make one solid dot at a time, you can use it to make pixel art.

I make pixel art in GIMP because it's the program I use on a daily basis but it's not the easiest for a beginner. But use whatever you're comfortable with.
:iconhensenfm:
HensenFM Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
you can use GIMP,Paint tool SAI,Photoshop,And Graphic Gale

i use PAint tool SAI for 1 frame and i animating frame by frame with photoshop
:iconomicronwanderer:
OmicronWanderer Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I would choose any program that can handle editing at a pixel by pixel level that has layers.

photoshop and gimp are some pretty common.

also if you don't want to pay a great deal you could always get Photoshop Elements.
there really isn't anything you can't do in terms of pixel art in elements that you couldn't also do in the full up version.
:iconwezenbeesje:
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional General Artist
I love Animaki for animated pixel art, but if you don't want to animate, something else would be better I think. But it's still better than paint. :)
:iconforbiddenkatalyst:
ForbiddenKatalyst Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
As someone who did a lot of pixel art in her time, I found that I enjoyed being able to work in MSPaint, but I favored photoshop for the sake of layering. It was nice that, if I messed up bad enough, I wouldn't have to redo EVERYTHING, but rather just remove that layer and work it over again. Just stuck with a nice little pencil tool, 1pt. :)
:iconmakzvell52:
makzvell52 Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think, Grafx2 is good choise.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
I use Paint.NET. A LOT.
It's basically a slightly upgrade MSPaint, it's easy to use, but has a few extra features that make it much easier.
I think GIMP is too complex to do pixel art very easily.
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012   Digital Artist
Graphicsgale does have keyboard shortcuts and is pretty ideal for animations if you decide to get into that.

Almost anything can be used for pixel art as long as you steer clear of certain tools not used with the medium though.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
GraphicsGale is incredible.
Add a Comment: