Closed to new replies
November 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Help! CMYK and black issues

:iconcalcination:
Calcination Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional
I've spent upwards of 60 hours on a piece....I was working in RGB and I've only just decided put the final version to print, so I had to convert to CMYK.

It's a night scene and although the BG colours were already desaturated, after the conversion it was completely swallowed up by black.

Is there any way to at least restore some of the contrasts in colour via Photoshop? I'm already resigned to the fact that I'll have to repaint quite a lot of it, but I need to finish it in the coming days and any help or advice would be appreciated!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
try calling your local costco and find out if they use an RBG printer.....

heres a link explaining it [link]

Heres a link to drycreek website to get the printer profile.....[link]
Heres omething on their site to explain it ....[link]

Heres a link on adobes site, explaining it...[link]

what you do is that image you have......after you downlaod the printer profile...go into "view" tab then go to "proof setup" then click "custom" then you can find the printer profile that you downloaded from dry creek site...switch the that profile your image should change and look darker. then you can adjust the exposure,vibrance or hue/sat.

You best bet is to try this, then having to rework the entire image...

I had to do all this crap before when i was working with them to get stuff printed. All my files are RBG files then i use their printer profile to print them out. THe prints come out flawless after getting the right printer profile for their printer and using that in photoshop to adjust the image at the end. I would honestly try this before redoing you image...
Calcination Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional
I don't have a costco here in Malta, I think I just may have found an RGB option here. Will try that proof setup thing once I've found a printer for sure! I had no idea you could do that, I use to do odd bits of graphic design and was never pleased with the colours, thank you so much!
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
ya i had no idea about it, till i had to print then found all that out. Give it a shot, never hurts to try. Best of luck
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
Ya when making something originally with rbg, when you change it to cmyk the colors will be off, its trying to match the closest cmyk to the rbg color. CMYK color pallet is really limited compared to rbg. Its usually a good idea in the future, if your going to be printing it out, start out with cmyk, if your not printing and is going on the web then rbg is fine. You can try to change the hue/sat, vibrance or exposure.

Have you decided where your printing it out at???

Another option, might be an easier one the redoing it all........The costco out where i live can print RBG files. Some Printers now a days can print RBG colors. I would find that out 1st, if they use an rbg printer. THen you would only need to get the printer profile for their printers, so u can set that profile up in ps to see how the print will look. Then adjust it if its to light or dark.
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
Printer drivers that take RGB images just do an automatic conversion to CMYK (or a similar space) internally which is exactly where the issue Calcination had occurred: an automatic conversion with no manual adaptation.

I haven't worked with this myself but my understanding as that this is just something that takes manual effort to deal with, which is why high end printing generally requires CMYK images. Print shops can do an automatic conversion easily enough but getting good results really takes an understanding of the intent of the image and a lot of work to adjust it to the new colourspace as there is no universally correct transformation from RGB to CMYK that will always produce the desired result. It would take an AI that could actually recognize what the image is, and probably some means to read the user's mind on top of that.
Calcination Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Professional
It looks terrible actually, like half the painting came undone!

Ideally I'd prefer to continue in RGB, because the fiile is huge in CMYK! I wanted to enter it in 'the train your brain' contest as well as get it ready for print (I'm participating in our local comic-con)

I'd prefer to continue working in RGB, but most of the image is dark, but there's such a big difference I'm worried it'll oly good good in RGB when I'm done

I stuck them side by side here [link] , jpeg compression mussed it up even more 0_o
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012   Digital Artist
Usually when you convert, it doesn't go that wierd. can you show me what both of them look like?

Normally, what to do it just work in RGB and save a PDF to print from. THe conversion to CMYK will take place when you PDF it automatically and the colour normally isn't that different (though things come out darker when you print it, so you can just use levels or something to lighten it a tad.)
Add a Comment: