Closed to new replies
November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

In need of criticism <3

:iconliloujay:
LilouJay Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Hey guys, im looking for some serious criticism of my art style. Im aspiring for a career in digital painting/illustration and feel i'm in need of a nudge from some fellow artists!

Basically i would love if you guys could give me some serious criticism about my work and tell me what -as a viewer- you dont like, would add to or think i should change about my artwork. Dont be afraid to be harsh.
I'd also love it if you could tell me what you DO like about them also ^^ so i know what kinds of things should be kept or developed (And also to sooth some of the burns ^^; )

Im hoping to start doing commissions some day, though my gallery is in desperate need of filling, so i would like to ask;
Based on my work how far off commission standard do you think my artwork is?

Also, my painting technique is still very much in the development stage but the two pieces below are a pretty good example as to the foundations of my art style so far :meow:

Basically any advice/tips would be immensely appreciated! :happybounce:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thumbshare is a forum like this one, but when you ask people to comment you have to do the same for them.

When a moderator finds this here they shut it down, and say this is for thumbshare.

It really is.

That is what thumbshare is for.

This forums is for digital art so people can talk about issues on how to do digital art, like how to improve, and just talk about digital art. But, the purpose of this forums in separate from thumb share.

When people what to talk about digital art the come here, and even if some reply they are not here for judging art and being a critic. If they want to do that they would be in the Thumbshare forums.

If this topic was I need help with lighting, a lot of people might comment they need the same kind of help, but you get people that can help you improve your lighting.

So if this thread fades away without some critics on your art then you are just asking the wrong people.
LilouJay Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Thanks for the suggestion! Im kind of new to the DA forums... ^^; sorry
:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I wanted to say something, but =AlanTheRobot pretty much nailed everything I could analyze off your art.

About the girl's eyes, it looked flat because of the angle of the eyelids; they're curving down a bit too much. The fingers are a bit flat - the joints aren't visible, and the fingers are unnaturally straight.

And yeah, lighting is freaking awesome.
Thanks :] your analysis is much appreciated! Every little bit helps :heart:
:iconalantherobot:
AlanTheRobot Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The colors are great, but in the first one I feel like there's too much going on and their should be more blue to balance out the gold. I would also try to draw fuller views of the characters. I feel like I'm too close to them.

In the second either the nose (and the space of the nose, the middle area of her face is too long) and the chin/neck are off if she's meant to be looking up or the eyes are too high and there's too little forehead if she's meant to be looking more down. I think you meant for her to look up, in which case, look at yourself in the mirror when doing this, you'll see that the skin/neck beneath your chin starts to show and the chin starts to "invert" from a U to an n shape.. Also I don't know how to explain this but the eyes seem "flat", sort of like you cut them out from somewhere and just placed them on top, there's no depth to them. They should be set in more. Also I'd add just a tad bit more definition to her fingers so we can see the joints a bit more.

The first one is better in terms of anatomy. His shiny nose is a bit weird unless there's a reason for that?

And now for the good stuff :)

Love love love the goldfish and the bubble. The shine on it is great and the way it reflects onto her hands! Awesome. They way the light was distributed/came from the bubble was very well done. Also like the background.

Love the skin tone and the blue light on the first one. And his ear :)

And now depending on what you want to do (I'm assuming concept art? or something like illustrating fantasy book covers? or do you just want to do whatever and sell it?) you should focus more on some things than others.
^^ thank you so much for taking the time to consider my work! <3 i totally see what you've pointed out :] I also noticed that the two aspects of my pieces that you've praised is related to the lighting, so i'll definitely be focusing on that a bit more in my future projects.
AlanTheRobot Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd focus on the things you're not good at so pieces are more balanced. But yeah... the improvements you need are minimal so you could just focus on lighting to make that your strong point, I just wouldn't recommend it.
LilouJay Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Yeah i see what you mean :] i've also noticed that the areas identified as the best are the less worried about areas. Take the mermaids face for example; i spent so much time worrying about how to make her look (e.g more manga-y or realistic?) that i uh- kinda forgot to include basic facial proportions ^^; (wow her ears are actually level with her CHIN? lol) So i recon the best tip is just to work on it and work on it until it looks eye catching and correct.

:happybounce: all the feedback i've had so far has been really helpful! thankyou so much!
AlanTheRobot Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Actually the ears are supposed to be almost level with her chin if she's looking up. Not too much, but if a head is tilted up they'll appear lower, if it's tilted down they'll appear slightly higher. Maybe decide on a pose and look at yourself in the mirror doing it for a few minutes if you can't find any stock photos (which is usually the case when you've already decided on a pose).
Add a Comment: