Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

How to resize an image on a large scale.

:iconstealthesenses:
StealTheSenses Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
So im a psd fanatic and rarely use illustrator so im not to knowledgeable about vector images. My question is this, is there a way to resize my 8-10in work into 8-10ft without losing mass amounts of detail and quality. If i cannot, what would you recommend me doing to achieve this because i don't think my comp would be able to hold an 8-10ft canvas haha.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
If it's a raster image you made in Photoshop, it's impossible to increase the size of a raster without sacrificing quality. Though if the image is to be viewed always from a distance (like a billboard), then you can lower the resolution to as little as 9-12 dpi and it would look fine from at least a few yards away.

If it's all vector objects, they are infinitely scalable to any size. There is no resolution quality to worry about with vectors. If you need to use a raster image that isn't very complex, you could trace the image in Illustrator (look up Live Trace and Live Paint) to make a vector version that you can resize.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Also you don't need to work at 8-10ft the entire time, just when you plan to print. You could work at 8"-10" or whatever, use less resources that way
:iconstealthesenses:
StealTheSenses Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Could i transfer my work from photoshop to illustrator and resize it? Or will it still lose quality?
If you worked with vectors in Photoshop, then yeah. If you worked with raster images, you'll lose quality scaling up.
See how big of a size your computer can handle, because vectors never lose quality when scaling up or down...

Depending on why you're printing it that large, you could get away with a smaller DPI, and work with a smaller file as a result
Add a Comment: