Details

Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

Finding balance with Digital and Traditional Art

:iconmkough:
I've currently been focusing mainly on digital art and I worry that my traditional stuff won't be up to snuff as a result. Are traditional skills somewhat perishable in this regard or is it just a matter of learning the tools? Does anyone find they can maintain a meaningful balance between the two and how?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontetchist:
Tetchist Nov 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
you're seriously asking us if you're going to learn things by not doing them.

what.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Nov 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
did you even read my post
:iconmkough:
thanks all for the advice.
:icon5480093:
5480093 Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I personally don't like traditional art, most artist of those type tend to overcharge everything over digital, I more concern in content flow not process. To me it's like writing with a pen vs typing on computer/typewriter which is faster? Content flow is way more important than worry about some minuscule gimmicky traditional process, of trying to bang more bucks out of a client. If there are traditional artist that can compete at a digital price and pitch, then that ONLY artist isn't so so bad.
:iconanestezja:
anestezja Nov 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
You know it depends a little on what you do (and possibly personal preferences), I just recently noticed that my inking is about 300% faster (and easier) when done on paper instead of digitally. I was totally stunned how easy it suddenly had become ;)
:icon5480093:
5480093 Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I disagree, it's all about prices. If it's 300% more faster would charge the same price if not cheaper as digital?
:iconanestezja:
anestezja Nov 29, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I don't know about prices for inking - I'm not not a pro inker, I'm a pro painter :). But my point is that we should differentiate - you can't just go and say digital is always a better solution for everybody. There is a lot of factors that influence efficience as well as pricing. Traditional and digital are two different beasts with a common pedigree ;) and both ways have their advantages and disadvantages.
:iconmattcombsart:
The steps of creating art is basically the same principles, just with different tools for the 2. I find with digital i get to comfortable with the shortcuts and tools, then when i work on a traditional painting. Im like "heh i messed up!, oh well got to fix it, no undo button" /sadface....

i find if you can paint well traditionally that you can take those same ideas and principles of painting and apply that to the digital medium. Just need to then learn all the tools and what does what to speed up your workflow..The way i balance it is just to do a traditional painting time to time.

I try to stay up on the traditional end a little more, since i feel it makes u have more confident artist, learning to work with mistakes and fixing stuff is the best way of learning what to do and what no to do.....Digital their are so many ways to fix a mistake, you dont really learn the correct ways of fixing it like you would traditionally. Digital is a great tool to step up the quality of paintings while spending less time then you would traditionally.

Just do both. The compliment each other pretty nicely. Its mainly how im feeling, if im feeling up to a traditional canvas ill do that. Or if i dont want to spend the $ on materials ill work digitally. Just stay fresh on both. Doing both will help get better.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think both digital and traditional art rely on the same basics... do it won't hurt doing one more than the other for a while.
Add a Comment: