Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Wanting to start painting landscapes and stuff digitally + a few questions :D

:iconsincere-sandwich:
Sincere-Sandwich Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Draw way too many characters n' stuff and feel I need to get much better at background work before I even start with learning about poses and anatomy :)

Just wanted to ask about layers, some people say they don't use layer at all but surely for things like buildings on top of backgrounds (to get them looking really crisp) you have to layer a bit. Oh and how do you get sharp edges to them? just zoom in and paint? or do people use the select tool and clip it? (woosp, Photoshop specific question there).

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcalcination:
Calcination Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Professional
I select the primary colours for the foreground, midground and background, and block out basic shapes on their respective layers. Then I just shade them by clipping the rest of the layers on top. (Remember that colours get lighter and more desaturated the further away they are). Also when you're applying your secondary colours try to work as zoomed out as possible so you don't fixate on details, you can define the focal points in your image further when you ad your tertiary colours, but your primary and secondary colours will do most of the work establishing a general sense of depth :)
Also, check out this video [link] :) He's intimidatingly good, but very inspirational. He also only paints in one layer in these thumbs!
Sincere-Sandwich Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks! :D Hadn't even thought about colour desaturation and depth until you mentioned, being kinda essential for painting, that'll help a lot! I've been one that channel before, never really had a proper look, I'll give it a go :D
prepare to be amazed then! And glad I could be of some help :)
:iconrynkadraws:
RynkaDraws Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Generally, the less layers the better in landscapes,
Though you do sometimes need to separate it into 3 parts - background, foreground and middle ground.
The reason behind having few layers is because backgrounds need to have something called atmospheric perspective, which lets in the feeling of depth into an otherwise flat-looking painting. This is usually done by blending in the farthest parts with the color of the sky, and it's very hard to do with a lot of layers.

To make a building look crisp use the lasso tool and draw inside it or inverse selection and paint over the excess paint from the color sketch.
Sincere-Sandwich Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah I thought there might be a reason for one layer, I'll probably start out with a few layers and work my way down. Thanks for the advice! :D
:iconbluewyrm:
Bluewyrm Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
If your PS has layer folders, use them to sort out the layers with specific elements and their shading. It helps a lot. Also, clipping layers are reeeeeally convenient, mess around with them for a bit and I think you'll see why :)

Since it's in my clipboard anyway, have a very useful painting tut: [link]
Sincere-Sandwich Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wow thanks a lot! that tutorial's funny and incredibly useful :D
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Well, you have to really think about what 'layering' is-

In a sense, yes, they do layer, just as you would layer in a traditional art piece- put down one color, put down another, etc.

But whether they use the layer tool is up to them, and really doesn't matter. When you get down to it, the layer tool really just makes it easier for you to add and subtract things.

Those crisp edges come from experience, the tool you use, and the resolution. You do your work big, at 300 ppi, and yeah, you zoom in. One of the main advantages to digital art is that you are no longer constrained by size. You can work at a scale that, in traditional art, would have to be gigantic.
Sincere-Sandwich Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, I was worried I'd have to do it all on one layer but wanted the clarity of doing it on layers (knowing that I could revert back). Good to know about the ppi, I've been working at 70. Thanks for the help!
Add a Comment: