Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Tips on reaching this effect

:icontomvanrheenen:
tomvanrheenen Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I notice such coloroverlay in other works too, but here is a recent one I found:
[link]

Is there some certain way to achieve this? Using colormodes or some settings in photoshop like you add noise or something.
Any tips would be appreciated! :)

Thanks

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaquemenes1983:
Aquemenes1983 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Take a look at my gallery if you want, youīll find some similar works. I use "artweaver 3.0" (totally free software) and I often chose the "chunky oil pastel 20" of the "oil pastels" brushes. Type circular, method mild cover and cathegory flat. For me, the tip is that I set a base color (plane, without tones or textures) and then set what colors and tones goes in what area of the drawing. Using these brushes with that specifications and setting them in one of the choosen colors, allows me to control the exact degree of that tone by painting one or more strokes in a specific area (because it reaches the choosen tone by acumulation) and then could control the degradation and transition of colors between different areas. In the example you linked, the darkest areas probably have more strokes of a dark tone that the middle-toned ones. I hope I made it clear, but I fear I donīt dominate english enough to explain myself clearly. Sorry I guess. But feel free to ask me whatever you want if you think I could be of help. :D
tomvanrheenen Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Completely clear, thanks :)
:iconaquemenes1983:
Aquemenes1983 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Youīre welcome! :D
:iconzenarion:
zenarion Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
It's just noisy brushes, and painting in loose strokes.
There's no "effect" to it.
I'm sure he used some sort of colormode, but indeed I think it's just brushwork.
:iconanestezja:
anestezja Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I suppose it could also be achieved with a copy layer set to "Dodge Color" mode (possibly with reduced opacity and erased or masked parts). Unless your background is totally flat.
That could be it, thanks :)
:iconappledeer:
AppleDeer Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Beb that's actually possible with a grunge brush. That's not a filter or anything. The artist is using a heavily textured brush.
I know this because I used to do it for my concept art ^^
Try a textured brush :3
tomvanrheenen Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
So just a texture brush and then locking it and adding a gradient or something is your thought? Could try that :) Thanks!
:iconnoodleboxtv:
NoodleboxTV Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Filmographer
I think one part of the effect on photoshop go Filter -> Noise - Add Noise and adjust according to canvas size.
Add a Comment: