Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Can someone please explain to me Masked layers/ locking transperant pixels in CS5 to me?

:iconmmemento:
mmemento Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm totally new to CS5. I used to use Sai but now Ive switched to CS5. I'm trying to figure out how to paint over a sketch. I've been watching speedpaints and tutorials to help me learn how to do it on CS5.

I've seen that sometimes people use masked layers to help with them with coloring their art in general.

also locking pixels, how do you even use that option?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsylor41:
sylor41 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
sylor41 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I would suggest to you ChChCheckitsclan's Youtube Photoshop tutorial. They're where I got started :)
mmemento Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Thank you for your response, Ill be sure ot take a look at these videos
sylor41 Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
ok, no problem
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
My guide here explains Layer Masks (second page): [link]

You would use the Transparent Pixels Lock when you have a layer that contains transparent and opaque parts and you only want to change the opaque parts. For example, if you wanted to color different parts of your lineart different colors and only the lineart is opaque on that layer, you would turn on the lock and then use the Brush tool to color over the lines you want to change without affecting anything else.
mmemento Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Thank you for your answer. What do you mean by opaque and Transparent? how do you make your lineart opaque/transparent to use this function?
nokari Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Transparency is something clear or non-solid. Like looking through a dirty window. Opaque, or opacity, is the opposite of transparency.

You don't make your lineart transparent, you make everything around it (the blank white spaces) transparent. The lineart should be completely opaque (ex: 100% black).
mmemento Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
so wait if I make my lineart completely black and then transparent pixel lock on it, go over with a color I want my lineart turn in to (say, red); my lineart will become red?
Is that it does?
nokari Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Yes, only the lineart will change color (it doesn't have to be black). Anything that is transparent won't be affected. Just keep in mind that if there's something not completely transparent (say there's a spot you missed that's semi-transparent), it will also change color, so the lines must be the only thing opaque on the layer and everything else transparent to get the best results.
:iconpropertykar:
PropertyKar Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
cx Best tuto ever~

I was trying to find all what you said looking tutorials~

Thanks! c:
Add a Comment: