Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Can someone please explain to me Masked layers/ locking transperant pixels in CS5 to me?

:iconmmemento:
mmemento Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm totally new to CS5. I used to use Sai but now Ive switched to CS5. I'm trying to figure out how to paint over a sketch. I've been watching speedpaints and tutorials to help me learn how to do it on CS5.

I've seen that sometimes people use masked layers to help with them with coloring their art in general.

also locking pixels, how do you even use that option?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsylor41:
sylor41 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
sylor41 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I would suggest to you ChChCheckitsclan's Youtube Photoshop tutorial. They're where I got started :)
mmemento Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Thank you for your response, Ill be sure ot take a look at these videos
sylor41 Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
ok, no problem
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
My guide here explains Layer Masks (second page): [link]

You would use the Transparent Pixels Lock when you have a layer that contains transparent and opaque parts and you only want to change the opaque parts. For example, if you wanted to color different parts of your lineart different colors and only the lineart is opaque on that layer, you would turn on the lock and then use the Brush tool to color over the lines you want to change without affecting anything else.
mmemento Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Thank you for your answer. What do you mean by opaque and Transparent? how do you make your lineart opaque/transparent to use this function?
nokari Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Transparency is something clear or non-solid. Like looking through a dirty window. Opaque, or opacity, is the opposite of transparency.

You don't make your lineart transparent, you make everything around it (the blank white spaces) transparent. The lineart should be completely opaque (ex: 100% black).
mmemento Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
so wait if I make my lineart completely black and then transparent pixel lock on it, go over with a color I want my lineart turn in to (say, red); my lineart will become red?
Is that it does?
nokari Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Yes, only the lineart will change color (it doesn't have to be black). Anything that is transparent won't be affected. Just keep in mind that if there's something not completely transparent (say there's a spot you missed that's semi-transparent), it will also change color, so the lines must be the only thing opaque on the layer and everything else transparent to get the best results.
:iconpropertykar:
PropertyKar Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
cx Best tuto ever~

I was trying to find all what you said looking tutorials~

Thanks! c:
mmemento Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I tried doing that today but for some reason it won't change the lineart
:iconalantherobot:
AlanTheRobot Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I suggest you look at my introduction to Photoshop tutorial here: [link] It just happens that I did it on CS5 so everything should look the same. I go over layers and the locks at one point (on the top right I think).

Didn't go over masked layers though. They're really easy though. There's quite a few different techniques as far as coloring with them, so I'll just give you the basics of how they work.

Once you mask a layer (by going to the small icons on the bottom of the layer panel, it's the square with a white circle inside) you'll have that layer than right next to it what looks like a white layer. You click on the one you want to "be" on. If the mask is white, the stuff on the regular part of the layer is seen. If it's black it's not. Note that adjustment layers automatically have masks added so you can easily only adjust parts of the image. Now, you might be wondering what the little link is between the two parts of the layer. If it's on, the mask moves with the pixels below it when using the move tools. If it's off (by clicking on the link it'll disappear) than you can move the mask around without affecting the pixels below it.

Hope that was clear.
mmemento Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Thank you for your answer. I kind of got lost at the pixels with the locks and adjustment layers. I thought there was only one type of layer mask.
AlanTheRobot Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
There's like 3 types of layer masks (normal, vectors, and something else) and there's also the quick mask button at the bottom of the tools panel. It can get confusing.
mmemento Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
that's a lot of layer masks...what are each for?
AlanTheRobot Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
I'm not the best person to explain. As far as I know, normal masks you can use a brush, vector masks or the other one can use shapes and paths (I think) and quick masks, you turn it on, draw with red where you want to select (sort of like the want tool but with a brush), and you click the quick mask again and it selects that part of the image for you. You can then click the regular mask button and make a mask from your selection. You can make a mask from any selection btw, this is really handy.

I don't know much else. You're better off searching for a mask types tutorial or something.
mmemento Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Thank you for your help!
Add a Comment: