Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 214

Digital art - Hobbyist or Pro?

:iconeverfae:
everfae Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Whatever your creative craft, is it your full-time job, are you stable and dependent on that job?
Also, is it fun? As in, do you have the same passion for it as you did when it was just a hobby?

I'd like to know because I want to be professional one day. I don't see any other choice at this point in my life!
One more thing to discuss - art schooling. If you haven't had one would you like to have one or do you see a point in it?
If art is just your hobby, then what do you want to do as a career?

I'm curious to see what others think. Personally, I can't wait to start a BA Illustration course if I get accepted at one of my Uni choices. Really can't!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontherebornace:
TheRebornAce Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
drawing is just a hobby for me. what i really want to do for my career is become an engineer for airplanes and space crafts and hopefully those who design future and more eco-friendly aircrafts. and with the design part, i guess knowing how to draw might come in handy for my career...
:iconmattiashogvall:
MattiasHogvall Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Go pro ! its a lot of fun :) Creative and interesting and finding a good firm to work for is a big win !
:iconjelenaellethil:
JelenaEllethil Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
For now it's just a hobby, but I sure hope that someday it might turn out more than that. It might take some time( lots of it ) because where I live art isn't all that much appreciated in general. There are no drawing sessions, painting/3D courses aside from the ones on the university and they accept very few students. So collected lots of tutorial's and the journey began. So far 3D is progressing nicely whereas drawing and painting is somewhat harder( painting on the tablet in particular) but with practice.
:iconluchianguyen:
Luchianguyen Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It started out when I was 11 as a hobby, but now that I'm 15 I'm hoping to go pro. I'm still a newbie though so I have a looong way to go.
everfae Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
We all do! Good luck on your journey :D
:iconzummerfish:
zummerfish Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hobby so far. I don't have enough time to do anything professionally yet. I like it this way for now. Dealing with client commissions would be troublesome XD
I can see why it would be troublesome, but I'm excited by the whole idea :)
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Id say if you make profit from it youre a pro, even though most 'pros' still do art as a hobby also. Id say yes it is fun if its what you already like to do. it can be grueling and have long hours and occasional moments of frustration and self doubt. Dealing with clients and deadlines is the worst part. But hey Ive had way worse jobs lol. Id say the passion stays with you so long as you dont get burned out and enjoy constantly learning/practicing.

Like you, I cant really see myself doing anything else. I tried tons of jobs but always come back to art. I went to school for graphic design and I learned alot. After awhile though it becomes more about being trained by the stress of meeting class deadlines and the education starts to slow.. the people that didnt educate themselves on their own time were kindof easy to spot. They didnt have the best work or were a bit arrogant and thought they didnt need to improve. Some instructors were the same way, beware.

Just a heads up Graphic Design/ Web Design seems to be the easiest way to make money (living wages) compared to illustrating alone. Since printed work is slowly dying off people are expecting artists to become more multitalented digital jack-of-all-trades. For example being able to do web design, graphic design, animation, and also illustrating. So that they can pay you to do more work instead of multiple people. Saves them money lol. But keep illustrating too if its your passion, youll eventually grow into a big name and people will pay you good money for it. Alot of designers also cant draw very well surprisingly, so its a valuable tool in your arsenal.

Wow look at that wall of text lol. I'll stop myself but let me know if theres anything else. Ive posted a few Graphic Design ramblings on my journal if its of help to anyone. :D
Nice to hear your thoughts. I've always thought web designers and graphic designers might be a little more ummmm....."successful" in ways than illustrators because of the whole digital thing, but then I've thought about in all the ways illustration can be used- thats extremely wide spread like any design be it graphic, web, typography, product, interior. I think the design industry as a whole, for me, would be an exciting and evolving place to be where I can constantly learn from other design paths alongside illustration.
Look, you've got me all excited now!!! :D
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Woooh glad youre excited about it :D lol. I do think it would be a good place for you to start, since like you said it all really is tied together these days. You will also have the opportunity to improve your illustrating a bit, I had to take 3-4 drawing classes and learned alot about life drawings and lighting etc. Nothing really new, but the new environment and people will make you try new things and become a more complete artist imo. This site has some good info to browse through: [link]
Add a Comment: