Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 214

Digital art - Hobbyist or Pro?

:iconeverfae:
everfae Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Whatever your creative craft, is it your full-time job, are you stable and dependent on that job?
Also, is it fun? As in, do you have the same passion for it as you did when it was just a hobby?

I'd like to know because I want to be professional one day. I don't see any other choice at this point in my life!
One more thing to discuss - art schooling. If you haven't had one would you like to have one or do you see a point in it?
If art is just your hobby, then what do you want to do as a career?

I'm curious to see what others think. Personally, I can't wait to start a BA Illustration course if I get accepted at one of my Uni choices. Really can't!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontherebornace:
TheRebornAce Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
drawing is just a hobby for me. what i really want to do for my career is become an engineer for airplanes and space crafts and hopefully those who design future and more eco-friendly aircrafts. and with the design part, i guess knowing how to draw might come in handy for my career...
:iconmattiashogvall:
MattiasHogvall Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Go pro ! its a lot of fun :) Creative and interesting and finding a good firm to work for is a big win !
:iconjelenaellethil:
JelenaEllethil Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
For now it's just a hobby, but I sure hope that someday it might turn out more than that. It might take some time( lots of it ) because where I live art isn't all that much appreciated in general. There are no drawing sessions, painting/3D courses aside from the ones on the university and they accept very few students. So collected lots of tutorial's and the journey began. So far 3D is progressing nicely whereas drawing and painting is somewhat harder( painting on the tablet in particular) but with practice.
:iconluchianguyen:
Luchianguyen Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Digital Artist
It started out when I was 11 as a hobby, but now that I'm 15 I'm hoping to go pro. I'm still a newbie though so I have a looong way to go.
everfae Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
We all do! Good luck on your journey :D
:iconzummerfish:
zummerfish Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hobby so far. I don't have enough time to do anything professionally yet. I like it this way for now. Dealing with client commissions would be troublesome XD
I can see why it would be troublesome, but I'm excited by the whole idea :)
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Id say if you make profit from it youre a pro, even though most 'pros' still do art as a hobby also. Id say yes it is fun if its what you already like to do. it can be grueling and have long hours and occasional moments of frustration and self doubt. Dealing with clients and deadlines is the worst part. But hey Ive had way worse jobs lol. Id say the passion stays with you so long as you dont get burned out and enjoy constantly learning/practicing.

Like you, I cant really see myself doing anything else. I tried tons of jobs but always come back to art. I went to school for graphic design and I learned alot. After awhile though it becomes more about being trained by the stress of meeting class deadlines and the education starts to slow.. the people that didnt educate themselves on their own time were kindof easy to spot. They didnt have the best work or were a bit arrogant and thought they didnt need to improve. Some instructors were the same way, beware.

Just a heads up Graphic Design/ Web Design seems to be the easiest way to make money (living wages) compared to illustrating alone. Since printed work is slowly dying off people are expecting artists to become more multitalented digital jack-of-all-trades. For example being able to do web design, graphic design, animation, and also illustrating. So that they can pay you to do more work instead of multiple people. Saves them money lol. But keep illustrating too if its your passion, youll eventually grow into a big name and people will pay you good money for it. Alot of designers also cant draw very well surprisingly, so its a valuable tool in your arsenal.

Wow look at that wall of text lol. I'll stop myself but let me know if theres anything else. Ive posted a few Graphic Design ramblings on my journal if its of help to anyone. :D
Nice to hear your thoughts. I've always thought web designers and graphic designers might be a little more ummmm....."successful" in ways than illustrators because of the whole digital thing, but then I've thought about in all the ways illustration can be used- thats extremely wide spread like any design be it graphic, web, typography, product, interior. I think the design industry as a whole, for me, would be an exciting and evolving place to be where I can constantly learn from other design paths alongside illustration.
Look, you've got me all excited now!!! :D
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Woooh glad youre excited about it :D lol. I do think it would be a good place for you to start, since like you said it all really is tied together these days. You will also have the opportunity to improve your illustrating a bit, I had to take 3-4 drawing classes and learned alot about life drawings and lighting etc. Nothing really new, but the new environment and people will make you try new things and become a more complete artist imo. This site has some good info to browse through: [link]
everfae Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I'd love to take some drawing classes. Things are a bit full on - but I can find some time, somewhere!
I feel like I can't fully call myself an artist if i don't have a grasp of the basics! (which covers a lot ;_;) I do my A level course, which is very helpful but i would still love some extra drawing classes :)
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.
:iconistealyourcookiesx3:
IStealYourCookiesx3 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hey :),

I am a hobbyist and I love digital art :D ! I thought I want to make digital art into my job ^^...I think. I just love it and it is my hobby ;). And i think you need not be a professional for draw nice pictures but it is an advantage :D !

(Sorry for mistakes :3)

IstealYourCookiesx3
I agree with you! :D
I agree with you! :D
:icondakirin:
DaKirin Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Hello, I draw for fun though i use it to work as a living :D oNLY HAVE 1 DRAWING on deviant art though...ill prob post more...
:iconseth2012chaos:
seth2012chaos Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Just a hobby.
:iconmchectr:
mchectr Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I draw for fun, although I would like to make extra money off of art if I'm in college and if anyone wants to even hire me. But I'm not hoping that this would be a full time job.
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Although a degree would be nice - I wouldn't go to school for a few reasons. One, it's hella expensive, two my passion is in a relatively new style that still has a bad stigma around it and isn't taken quite seriously in the wider art world, three I don't ultimately need a degree for what I want to do and four, I'd like to one day be a role model/ proof that it's possible to teach yourself a skill to a professional level without having to land yourself in debt.

My art is still a hobby right now. I've sold the odd commission but that's not where I'm going with it. My plan is to break into the comic industry with my boyfriend who writes amazing stories. If we work hard and the publishers like it we just might achieve our dreams. I obviously can't speak from experience but if I ever got there I'd say I'd still have a large passion for it even if it became a demanding job which I imagine it to be. I can't imagine myself doing anything else and like with anything in life, there's always and upside and a downside.
Wow, working on comics with your boyfriend sounds amazing. Your perfect creative partner! Very best of luck, sounds like an amazing thing to be getting into :D
:iconflyingcatsandglitter:
FlyingCatsandGlitter Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
I'm a hobbyist , yet I wish to study art and become a pro. I'm only 14 so doing art really helps me unwind and express myself ; Drawing makes me happy that I want to make it my profession someday. :) I was very happy to receive my first profit for my art (via devArt commission) and I decided it was something worth doing ..
I feel the same way as you :D It helps me to unwind as well :)
:icontrashau:
trashau Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
It is professional and commissioned to draw characters on a pretty regular basis. However, it doesn't pay all the bills. It get maybe a few hundred bucks a month. Full-time art positions are very hard to find and are almost non-existent. It tried like crazy to get in with game companies, but the most they ever want to do is a freelance image here or there, nothing long-term.

GakggGak Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I've been working as a Illustrator for 3-4 years, I started by doing freelances for local Trading Card Game for a very low price :P and doing some illustration for local children book, and I didn't get very stable income but I think it's to be expected since I'm just started learning digital art and my basic drawing skill is still very low

now that my skill have improved (I'm still learning though) I'm doing a full time job at a local game dev. I chose to work at a game dev because it's harder to find a full illustration job in my countr.
I do have freelance that is not a game asset, but I don't think it's enough. I'm currently building my portfolio to try to get more/bigger freelances.

I went to local university majoring in Visual Communication Design, well it's not specific to Illustration so it didn't help me much in improving my drawing skill, I'm mostly learned everything by watching tutorials, basic stuffs like, basic form, value, lighting etc.
Sounds like things are turning out to be going pretty good for you huh! :D Happy for you :)
:icongakgggak:
GakggGak Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
but it's fun so I don't mind :dance:
hope things will work out for you at uni :D
everfae Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
Thanks so much :D
:icongakgggak:
GakggGak Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
you're welcome :D
:iconviobear:
viobear Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I haven't read much of the comments so I don't know if I am repeating the topic, but I want to tell you that SCHOOLING IS VERY IMPORTANT if you want to do this professionally. I didn't think that going to school would have had a big of impact that it did on me. The professors will introduce you to what people are doing in the industry. You are revealed so much other possible career choices that you would not have been introduced to otherwise.

For example, I am getting my Bachelors right now in Graphic Design and I took some courses for Animation (as required) and I am now looking into doing something with animation as well as graphic design. I will be pursuing my Masters in graphic design in the next 10 years. It's just SO worth it.
:icondarkshadow7777:
DarkShadow7777 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I could say that's somewhat normal, professional communities tend to get a circle, if you are into it, you can get into that circle faster if someone introduce you (Like your teacher in this case). Looks very competed this days ;)
:iconviobear:
viobear Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Oh man yes its very much about who you know!
everfae Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
That's amazing. There are some really mixed opinions on here, some place a lot of importance on art schooling, and some not so much. It's nice to hear about people's experiences in relation to their art schooling and how it's had an impact on their life (or not).
:iconbarnowlgurl23:
barnowlgurl23 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm a hobbyist
:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist
- I'm still a student at Uni :) but I want to enter a job I was trained to do (that is MolBio or something Medical)

- Art (digital art, mostly) is just my hobby but I hope to turn it into something lucrative, like my own web comic or working part-time to do illustrations or even free-lance work, haha.
- I'm not formally trained but I want to be better. Even if it's just my hobby, I wanted to take some classes at Uni that dealt with the basics. I can't take higher Art Course subjects because I have my own MolBio subjects that are required of me (which I also enjoy). After I graduate from my current course, I won't mind taking up a summer workshop or something that deals with the basics. Art school is not for me in that case because the kind of person that I am will want to complete that course and I really only want basic training, haha. Although, I can stick with what I've been doing so far and just read art books and practice and rely on helpful commenter on dA to judge my work ;P
Well, at least whatever way you choose to advance with your art work, it's entirely at your own pace :)
DarkShadow7777 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
For me, it's a relaxing hobby, I really like it ;) It takes me apart from my real deal (Accounting stuff and IT... stress... )
Yeah, art provides that release which is why i like it so much C:
DarkShadow7777 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah that's pretty much it, at least for us now XD
:iconjayhellartetsy:
JayHellArtEtsy Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have a degree in Illustration but the industry is saturated. I much prefer for this to be my hobby, I have a day job that pays the bills (just!) And I much prefer to work on it as and when and HOW I want without the constraints of deadlines/clients etc. I think I would quickly fall out of love with it if that was the case.
What do you mean the industry is saturated?
:iconcobraclimax:
CobraClimax Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
I think somewhere a pro is defined by having his/her livelihood heavily dependent on that art skill. Hobbyists do it without that huge an investment. Heck I've seen some great hobbyists whose work are comparable with the pros in my opinion. But if the individual does not have the resources,well we all know the story.
Yeah I think I agree with you there :)
:iconresident-bishounen:
Resident-Bishounen Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm a hobbyist, but if anyone were to approach me about a commission or purchasing a painting, I wouldn't turn them down. I decided not to pursue art full-time since I didn't want it to become a chore. I chose instead to pursue a career in another interest of mine and work on my art in my spare time.

For me, it's worked out well - with my career I've been able to afford to take college-level art classes through the continuing education department, and I'm regularly involved with set painting and poster/program cover design for a local theatre group.

I like the freedom being a hobbyist gives me - I'd like to get as skilled as I can, but if I have off days where I'd rather do anything but draw, I can do something else and not feel guilty. In that sense, the art classes have helped a LOT. They're a great way for me to force myself to do all the work to develop the basic skills that I wouldn't have the self-discipline to work through on my own. Plus I had a great time with my other students and learned a lot from walking around during breaks and talking to them.
My only worry with pursuing art is that it will become a chore one day.Except, I don't have any other interests! :(
But I'm glad everything is working out for you and I hope you continue this way :)
:iconraiyneofgailin:
raiyneofgailin Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I consider myself professional and am commissioned to draw characters on a pretty regular basis. However, it doesn't pay all the bills. I get maybe a few hundred bucks a month. Full-time art positions are very hard to find and are almost non-existent. I tried like crazy to get in with game companies, but the most they ever want to do is a freelance image here or there, nothing long-term.

There is no money in art right now... :(
I think there is money in art, just depends on where you go and your connections. Would you like to be a full-time artist?
:iconraiyneofgailin:
raiyneofgailin Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Most definitely, but I have looked high and low for a full-time illustration job and even got a chance to meet with the then- art director at Sony Online Entertainment, but at the time i wasn't good enough. Now i am but there isn't any job. :/
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional General Artist
I've gotten into alot of freelance work over the years involving my art and I've enjoyed it. :)

I've thought of applying for full-time positions at certain companies and studios and certainly had the oppertunities to do so, but I've never much liked being told what to do or how to do my artwork, so I've remained independant and I can't say I've ever come to regret the decision. Besides, I like being my own boss too much. ;)

I'd like to become a professional tattoo artist in the future, which I'm working on doing, but in the meantime I'd like to go back to collage and see if I can get involved in a few digital illustration courses or something along those lines. I think I'd enjoy it.

My artwork pretty much is my life, but I still think of it as a hobby that I enjoy, and what better job to have then your hobby? ^-^
Yes yes I agree! But there is the danger of turning your hobby into a job and you not enjoying it anymore. But hey that's a risk I'm willing to take and if I don't enjoy it I'll just have to change things around a bit. The idea of being your own boss sounds great! :)
My artwork is my life too :)
Also, I like your username!
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional General Artist
You only stop enjoying it when you lose your creative freedoms and are pressured to complete something in a given time; those are the reasons I really don't see myself working full-time for a company or studio: I hate being told what to do, how to do it, and when it needs to be finished by. To me, that's when art becomes work and isn't any fun anymore.

Being a freelance artist and your own boss is very different: you make your own hours, chose what you do, and are given alot more freedom. It's my job, but this way it still feels like a hobby. :)
everfae Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Yes, freelancing sounds like the most appealing career choice to me, but also has a fair few disadvantages. Especially if you're entirely dependent on it financially, you may have fluctuations in how many commissions you receive and you can have good months..... bad months...
But if you have a supporting job on the side I think you would value freelancing a lot more as you come home from that job and you've still got that passion for drawing inside you because you've not been doing it constantly everyday that it may become a bit draining. Does that make sense at all? Hahaha. I think I'd enjoy freelancing if I knew I had another source of income, and still quite a bit of time to do commissions and things. But I don't understand the creative industry so well yet, and I don't know if that is a good idea or not :)
Add a Comment: