Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

How to draw my characters flying and make them look decent

:iconazurill-lover:
azurill-lover Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
All of my OCs have wings and when I describe them flying when I write, I describe them as running in the air. I would love to illustrate certain scenes where they are flying. However, I recently discovered that I cannot draw running four legged characters at all, and their wings look exactly the same as they do when I draw them on the ground.
[link] - This is an example of a flying character. Her wings don't seem to be moving at all and her legs just look plain wrong. I tried to make her look as if she was cantering, but it really didn't work.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do in future drawings of Moon Dance and my other OCs to make them look as if they are flying in the way I describe it and using their wings as... well, wings? Because no matter how many times I try, I just can't get it to look right.

I think this belongs here. If it isn't, I'm terribly sorry. I don't use the forums often, so I'm still a little confused as to what goes where.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhmontes:
HMontes Nov 25, 2012  Professional General Artist
A really good reference would be in Walt Disney's "Fantasia". The Pastoral sequence which shows unicorns, centaurs and pegasus flying. That particular part is on YouTube: [link]
Thanks for the tip!
:iconflyingdeadbirds:
FlyingDeadBirds Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Just as someone already said, looking at horses galloping and other references of how the legs should look like when running could help out a lot. Since the style obviously is more cartoonish than a real horse is you might have to simplify it a bit, but it shouldn't be much of a problem. Just as long as you learn how the legs of a horse moves, you can apply it to almost anything.
As for the wings, the reason they look stale as they are now is because they simply point upwards as they should if it weren't flying. Try drawing them unfolded or in a different pose, look at pictures of birds when they are flying just as with the horse.

Another thing, if it were flying, shouldn't the mane flow backwards just as the tail? You have to really use everything you can in order to really create an illusion of movement, in this case you have the wind to help you with that.
Thanks for the tip! And thanks for pointing that out as well. I was so focused on making her mane look good, I forgot that.
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Oh... you just have to find pictures of real horses galloping, and just try your best to exaggerate the anatomy as best as you can so it could look a little more believable that's all. =P
Thanks for the tip!
Welcome.

Adorable icon btw. :XD: Vaporeon's so cute! :meow:
I know, it's my favourite water Pokemon!
Yeah. It's pretty cool. :XD:
Add a Comment: